The Open Think Tank Directory is a collaborative project promoted by On Think Tanks to collect and capture a rich set of information about think tanks from all around the world.
Access the Open Think Tank Directory:
Why do this?
So far, information about think tanks (and other policy research centres, expertise bodies, etc.) is disorganised (several lists with partial information) or kept private. The Open Think Tank Directory provides a public good which benefits the entire think tank community. Through the directory, centres will be able to identify potential collaborators and connect with peers. For the growing body of think tank scholars, the directory will provide data for their investigations. As for funders, the directory will serve as a tool to identify organisations that focus on their agenda. Furthermore, the public and open nature of the database will contribute to the sector’s transparency efforts.
Having such a comprehensive database allows us to create stunning visuals that explore the evolution of think tanks, such as this video of the spread of think tanks across the globe.
- Organisational profiles can be updated and maintained by think tanks themselves
- Organisations not in the directory can sign-up and create their own profiles
- We are dedicated to creating an open directory. This means that the entire directory is downloadable and available under a Creative Commons license. Click here to find out more.
- The directory has information on more than 45 variables of public information (or information that should be public). The full list can be accessed here.
This list is in continuos development and updating. There are likely to be omissions so please get in touch do get in touch if you find an error.
How to support the Open Think Tank Directory?
The directory is a public good and we need to your help to maintain it. We are looking for core support to:
- Improve and continuously upgrade the website’s functions – back and front office
- Increase the number of think tanks included in the directory and keep their information up to date
- Carryout research and analysis+
We would be happy to work with funders with a specific country, regional or sectorial focus to develop the database in relation to the think tanks and other related policy research organisations in their field of interest.
Please get in touch to discuss.