A policy research organization within Georgetown University’s Walsh School of Foreign Service, CSET produces data-driven research at the intersection of security and technology, providing nonpartisan analysis to the policy community. CSET is currently focusing on the effects of progress in artificial intelligence (AI), advanced computing and biotechnology. We seek to prepare a new generation of decision-makers to address the challenges and opportunities of emerging technologies.
Reporting to CSET’s Director of Operations, the Business Operations and Management Specialist will manage grants, contracts and other key financial and business processes that are integral to CSET’s operations.
Key roles and responsibilities
- AIRS Pre-Award Grant Processing In coordination with the AIRS Program Director, soliciting and collating subgrant proposals from interested subgrantees for up to 6 new awards per year, checking for completeness and conducting preliminary reviews against established award rubrics; Organizing AIRS events and convenings – including serving as the logistical point of contact for subgrantees, researchers, and other stakeholders — to nurture community formation, collaboration, and knowledge transfer.
- Overseeing the tracking of any required final reports, notification of relevant preprint posting, publication acceptance, or other deliverables, including events detailing subgrant results, are provided by the subgrantees. Grant and Contract Awards Processing
- Drafting AIRS subawards or any ancillary documents for review and issuance by Georgetown’s Office of Research Services; Coordinating with the Office of Research Services on new grant setup and renewals, including creating GU-Pass records and ensuring grant compliance.
- Collating necessary contracts components, initiating Georgetown Management System (GMS, GU’s instance of Workday) requisitions, and collaborating with Georgetown procurement for final review and sign off on contracts.
- Monitoring contract burn rates, renewal terms, and contract compliance throughout contract lifespan, initiating necessary renewal, extension, and termination business processes along with internal CSET business owners.
- GMS and Business Process Management Reviewing financial transactions, expense reports, journal transactions, and supplier invoices, in GMS, ensuring that all data is accurately entered and all chart of account elements are consistently assigned.
- Reviewing and cross-referencing actual spend data to budget forecasts, correcting erroneous charges and ensuring budget forecasting assumptions and tools remain up to date.
- Initiating and tracking requisitions for goods and services, honoraria, contracts, and purchase orders in compliance with university policies and purchasing guidelines, coordinating with Georgetown procurement, accounts payable, and central finance teams when necessary.
- Approve Student Research Assistant time-cards for 15-20 students per semester weekly, ensuring compliance with GU HR policies and requirements.
- Internal CSET Stakeholder Communication and Coordination Provide clear, concise, timely, and accurate responses to inquiries from CSET suppliers, honorarium recipients, potential subgrantees, current subgrantees, CSET leaders, and other relevant stakeholders regarding business process transaction status; Develop (and maintain) user documentation for CSET policies and procedures, including expense reimbursement, IT setup, and office operations.
- Candidates must be eligible to work in the United States at the time of application and not require sponsorship for continued employment.
Experience and skills
- Bachelors’ degree in Business Administration, Finance, Economics, STEM, or other relevant fields
- 5 years of relevant experience
- Ability to work independently, prioritize work, manage deadlines under time pressure, and diplomatically juggle complex situations
- Proficiency with office productivity tools like Google Docs, Microsoft Office
- Familiarity with Workday or other financial management and human capital management software
- Demonstrated financial accounting skill and export comfort with Excel/Gsheets
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Comfort multitasking on a variety of tasks requires careful attention to detail