Cardus is a public-policy think tank dedicated to clarifying and strengthening, through research and dialogue, the ways in which society’s institutions can work together for the common good. Drawing on 2000 years of Christian social thought, we offer imagination toward a thriving society. Learn more at https://www.cardus.ca/who-we-are/.
Cardus is looking for a problem-solver and relationship-builder to manage our events. The Events Manager will take ideas and translate them into events, overseeing the moving pieces and implementing excellent events.
Key roles and responsibilities
The Events Manager role will be divided approximately as follows:
Event Planning and Promotion (50%)
- Lead kickoff meetings with Cardus team members to develop event plans, including targets, and objectives.
- Manage workflow for all events and maintain events calendar on Asana Manage details of remote events and those based in Cardus’ Hamilton office (and other events as needed) which will include tasks such as: venue selection, menu planning, table arrangements, decorations, contract management and negotiation, arranging audio and video capture, and coordinating IT needs.
- Supervise Cardus’ Event Assistant, who executes events based out of Ottawa and oversees day-to-day hospitality in the Ottawa office.
- Prepare and implement a budget and an event script for each event Coordinate marketing, communications, and design staff for event planning and promotion.
- Help coordinate promotional strategy for events.
- Work with the external affairs and communications teams to build invitation lists, create engagement strategies for event invitees, and build copy for email campaigns.
Hospitality Leadership (15%)
- Serve as the primary point of contact for event participants, speakers, vendors, volunteers, and staff assisting with an event.
- Ensure events run smoothly by proactively resolving problems that might occur.
- Occasionally step into “stage time” as a public persona at events Ensure resources and infrastructure for day-to-day hospitality at Cardus’ Hamilton office are humming.
Event Follow-up and Development (10%)
- Assist external affairs/marketing staff in conducting strategic follow-ups: donor relations, attendee surveys, video and photo management, and relationship strengthening Analyze the success of events and prepare reports, including lessons learned for future events.
- Curate and implement a list of ideas for Cardus event planning, execution, and follow-up, and pursue strategic partnerships to further event success.
Special Projects (25%)
- Provide planning and leadership, as needed, to internal events such as our biannual staff convention.
- Develop public-access events at our heritage office building.
Experience and skills
- The candidate will be able to demonstrate a deep commitment to the mission and vision of Cardus.
- We are looking for detail in your cover letter, or your application will not be considered.
- Three years of work experience in a related role or role.
- Must have post-secondary education or equivalent work experience, preferably in the area of event management, hospitality, tourism, or other related areas.
- Driver’s license (G) Proficient in written communication, oral communication, and the core Microsoft Suite.
- Friendly, with a love for connecting with people and making them feel welcome.
- Relationship builder, especially with professional connections like vendors and stakeholders.
- Critical thinker and good problem solver.
- Calm under pressure, able to pivot quickly in the face of surprises that often arise with events.
- Ability to prioritize effectively, and manage time and multiple tasks.
- Superior organizational skills, with a vision for excellence.
- Effective communicator, able to speak, listen and write in clear, concise terms.