Third Way’s Politics team advances the cause that pragmatic progressivism is the best path to create and sustain meaningful change and address our country’s most pressing policy problems.
The Political Analyst will draft and deploy high-impact written materials, public opinion research, data analysis, digital content, and presentations to help policymakers and political influencers better understand American voters and persuade them to appeal to a broad coalition with a pragmatic progressive message and agenda.
Key roles and responsibilities
As a Political Analyst, a typical day might include…
- Drafting high-impact written reports, memos, op-eds, and presentations to inform centre-left political leaders, and to offer persuasive evidence that winning elections and governing both require appealing to a broad coalition of voters, not just one party’s activist base;
- Analyzing historical and recent electoral and political data to come up with new insights and proof points that advance our case for pragmatic progressivism;
- Assisting senior leadership with rapid requests for data such as public opinion or historical election data;
- Collecting, analyzing, and summarizing qualitative and quantitative public opinion research to help policymakers, campaigns, and political influencers understand how American voters view a wide variety of issues, and how to best navigate them to build broad support for progress;
- Working collaboratively with the Third Way communications team to create written and graphic materials that will inform donors, partners, press, and other influencers and persuasively convey our political perspective in a way that is sticky and memorable.
Experience and skills
This might be the job for you if you have…
- A sophisticated understanding of the major issues in American politics including the mechanics of elections and the motivations of the major players who influence them, as well as a passion for a pragmatic brand of progressivism;
- Experience handling primary data and producing analyses using Excel, statistical packages, or other software programs to generate valuable and clear insights about American politics and voters;
- Familiarity with public opinion research, and comfort writing about public opinion data;
- A demonstrated ability to write clearly and concisely on complex topics for an audience of non-experts;
- Attention to detail for fact-finding, fact-checking, proofing, and other quality controls;
- An ability to multi-task and juggle multiple projects;
- A graduate degree or an undergraduate degree in a relevant field plus relevant work experience; and,
- A desire to make a difference and an imprint as Third Way’s newest Political Analyst.