The Global Observatory provides timely analysis on peace and security issues by experts, journalists, and policymakers. It is published by the International Peace Institute (IPI). The International Peace Institute is an independent, international think tank located in New York, Vienna, and Manama, dedicated to the settlement and prevention of armed conflict.
IPI is seeking an Associate Editor who will serve as Head of the Global Observatory, IPI’s analysis website. S/he will ensure a consistent stream of articles from expert contributors and help to create a high-quality publication with timely, informative, and visually appealing content. The position will report to IPI’s Director of Web & Multimedia and Web Editor.
Ley roles and responsibilities
- Research topics for GO posts and identify potential authors, send pitch emails, and manage pitch correspondences
- Manage internal review of articles and set publishing schedule
- Manage publishing of pieces and photos through content management system
- Write regular GO posts, including monthly Key Events
- Coordinate logistics of and conduct GO interviews
- Prepare suggested social media content for GO posts
- Manage general correspondences, track edits, and copyedit and proofread posts
- Track documents related to photos, topics and authors, and assist with issues related to GO subscribers and the GO email blast
- Perform related administrative tasks, including expense requests for payment of authors and service providers
- Copyedit and proofread other IPI web content as required
- Additional responsibilities can be determined by evolving IPI’s priorities, as assigned by supervisor and the President
Experience and skills
- 3-5 years minimum editing experience, preferably in international affairs
- BA or MA in the humanities (especially English or Journalism) or social sciences (especially international affairs).
- Outstanding command of English, particularly in writing and editing.
- Strong communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and an extraordinary attention to detail.
- Demonstrated interest in and knowledge of international affairs.
- Knowledge of web environments.
Please send cover letter with curriculum vitae, contact information for three professional references, and a relevant writing sample to [email protected] (with “Associate Editor – Head of the Global Observatory” as the email subject).
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. The position will be filled as soon as a successful candidate is identified (Check the IPI website to see whether the position is advertised beyond August 31). Candidates must be willing to relocate to New York City.
- Type of contract: Full-time
- Salary commensurate with experience