The R Street Institute—a free-market think tank headquartered in Washington, D.C., and with regional offices across the country—seeks a collaborative and innovative Business Development Specialist to support the fundraising and development efforts of our policy programs. If you want to contribute to the growth of an upbeat organization that takes its work seriously but has fun while doing so, this may be the opportunity for you!
Your typical day at R Street may include working to find new corporate or foundation fundraising opportunities; preparing research briefs for upcoming prospect meetings, and tracking donor engagements and follow-ups in Salesforce. This position will report to the Senior Manager, Business Development.
Key roles and responsibilities
- Research and identify potential new donors who align with the priorities and strategy of each policy program. Collaborate with the Business Development team to develop and implement outreach strategies.
- Draft research briefs and help prepare policy directors or executives for meetings.
- Conduct market research on peer institutions to map out where new fundraising and program opportunities may lie. Coordinate with staff across the Business Development, Policy, Communications and Strategy teams to advise on development strategies aligned with the donor community’s interests.
- Apply internal best practices to input Salesforce data on prospect and donor interactions, task reminders, opportunity tracking and revenue forecasting.
- Generate a variety of Salesforce reports for the Business Development, Finance and Executive teams.
- Proactively engage in continuous efforts to improve Salesforce design.
- Work with the Senior Manager of Business Development to create strategies that expand R Street’s donor base.
Experience and skills
- Salesforce CRM experience required.
- Non-profit grant management experience preferred.
- Market research experience preferred.
- Exceptional analytical and communication skills with an ability to synthesize complex information quickly and explain concepts clearly and concisely.
- Demonstrate superior interpersonal skills and engage effectively with various R Street teams with a strong collaborative orientation.
- A self-starter with excellent attention to detail with the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced work environment.
- Adaptable and able to work through challenging situations with a positive attitude, collaborative mentality and an open mind.
- A sense of humour and a desire to grow with a dynamic organization.