Nesta is an innovation foundation. For us, innovation means turning bold ideas into reality. It also means changing lives for the better. We use our expertise, skills, and funding in areas where there are big challenges facing society, from the frontiers of personalised healthcare to stretched public services and a fast-changing jobs market. Nesta is based in the UK and supported by a financial endowment. We work with partners around the globe to bring bold ideas to life to change the world for good.
Are you a collaborative, influential, and highly organised individual with a proven record in an executive role shaping strategic decisions over organisational impact, partnerships, funding, and staffing? If so, Nesta is looking for a Chief Programmes Officer to join our team and play a key role in Nesta’s new strategy, with a focus on leading the delivery of a transformative agenda to improve the lives of millions of people and prove the potential of innovation to achieve social impact.
Key roles and responsibilities
As Chief Programmes Officer, you will oversee Nesta’s three innovation Missions – focused on equal life chances, healthy lives, and a sustainable economic recovery, which will deliver measurable change for millions of people in the UK. You will also play a critical role on Nesta’s leadership team, working closely with the CEO, Chief Scientist, Chief Strategy Officer, and other colleagues to help shape and deliver every part of Nesta’s strategy, plus:
- Support Mission Directors in designing programmes of work to achieve each Mission’s defined outcomes
- Work collaboratively to surface key strategic trade-offs and make decisions on when to invest further and when to divest in specific programmes of work
- Develop, coach, and mentor high-performing talent across the Missions
- Champion an organisational culture of exploration, learning, development, and rigour
- Contribute to the development and delivery of our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion goals
- Cultivate and manage relationships with the media, senior stakeholders, co-funders, and external partners
- Work proactively with key opinion formers, the media, relevant government departments, and other stakeholder organisations to influence the development of policy
Experience and skills
In addition to your extensive experience shaping and making strategic decisions as part of a senior management team, you will be able to execute on strategic plans, managing change, measuring results, and making data-driven decisions. You will also have an impressive background managing multi-million pound, multi-year programmes, allocating resources where they will have the greatest impact, and experience working with central and local government, effectively influencing policy and practice
An outstanding communicator, both verbal and written, with first-class interpersonal, networking, and organisational abilities, you will also have expertise leading multi-disciplinary teams and an excellent understanding of the UK’s innovation system.