Third Way is a national think tank that champions modern center-left ideas.
Our work is grounded in the mainstream American values of opportunity, freedom, and security. But we identify as center-left, because we see that space in U.S. politics as offering the only real path for advancing those ideals in the century ahead.
Our agenda is ambitious, aspirational, and actionable. It is built on the bedrock belief that for political movements to succeed in our political system, they must relentlessly re-imagine their policies, strategies, and coalitions.
We are fighting for opportunity, so everyone has the chance to earn a good life; progress on social issues, so all have the freedom to live the lives they choose; and security, so we are protected from 21st century global threats.
The Climate and Energy Press Coordinator will join a dynamic team of professionals in Third Way’s Climate and Energy Program, which designs and advocates for policies to put the United States on the fastest, fairest path to net-zero emissions by 2050. As a member of the communications team, the press coordinator will manage the program’s day-to-day communications needs, developing digital collateral, and tracking and supporting engagement with members of the press to help advance the program’s mission.
Key roles and responsibilities
As the Climate and Energy Press Coordinator, a typical day might include:
- Crafting and implementing rollout strategies to market Third Way’s climate and clean energy products and events to policymakers, press, and influencers inside and outside the beltway and raise the profile of our climate and clean energy ideas and team members;
- Running the Third Way Climate and Energy Program’s social media handles that currently include but are not limited to Twitter and Instagram, and building an engaged audience of diverse and influential followers who regularly interact with our content;
- Maintaining and updating comprehensive press lists, managing media inquiries, and tracking coverage of the Climate and Energy Program’s products and staff in the news;
- Supporting the email marketing needs of the Climate and Energy Program in coordination with communications staff, including through preparing and updating audience lists, drafting emails for products and events, and sharing data and insights on the performance of these messages;
- Following relevant climate and clean energy news, identifying media opportunities for the Climate and Energy Program, and assisting the Senior Communications Advisor with media pitches;
- Developing a weekly climate and clean energy newsletter for Hill staff and allied organizations, partners, and donors that provides talking points and contextualizes weekly climate and clean energy news; and
- Performing other duties as assigned
**Please note all duties and events will be completed virtually until Third Way has established a return-to-work plan, at which point this position will be located in Washington, D.C.
Experience and skills
This might be the job for you, if you:
- Have an undergraduate degree in a relevant field
- Have at least 1 year of experience working in a communications role
- Communicate clearly and effectively in writing and verbally
- Want to contribute toward Third Way’s mission
- Take pride in and ownership of in your work
- Are curious and eager for professional development
- Think on your feet and adapt to changes effortlessly
- Are motivated and driven by your passion to opportunity, freedom, and security
- Want to make a difference and an imprint as Third Way’s newest Climate and Energy Press Coordinator
Other useful information
WITHIN 1 MONTH, YOU’LL:
- Participate in Third Way’s comprehensive onboarding program. You’ll learn about all aspects of Business Operations, which includes benefits, IT, finance, and office operations.
- Meet your Third Way “buddy,” be introduced to the entire staff, and start to learn Third Way’s culture.
- Learn our current processes for payroll, compliance, and labor tracking, and how you will partner with Finance and the rest of the Business Operations team on these processes.
- Participate in weekly one-on-ones with your manager to ensure you fully understand the expectations of the job.
- Attend your departmental weekly meetings. You’ll learn about the key goals of your program, how they’re doing, what challenges they face, and how you will contribute.
WITHIN 2 MONTHS, YOU’LL:
- Gain an understanding each employee’s role and their contribution to the organization.
- Attend program overview sessions to learn more about each team’s contribution to Third Way’s mission.
- Incorporate Third Way’s Style Guide and Production process into your work products.
- Learn and experience Third Way’s commitment to diversity, inclusion, and respect in the workplace.
- Develop an understanding of national and trade media coverage of climate and energy issues and become very familiar with national and trade reporters on key beats.
- Develop content for the Climate and Energy Program social media channels.
WITHIN 3 MONTHS, YOU’L:
- Feel a sense of comfort and familiarity with the staff, your team, and your work.
- Continue to attend weekly departmental meetings with a stronger understanding of your team’s strategic goal.
- Bring new ideas and suggestions to your weekly one-on-ones with your manager.
- Complete your 90-day self-evaluation and performance review with your manager.
- Partner with your manager to establish your long-term goals for the remainder of the year.
Third Way is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates, supports, and promotes diversity, equity, and inclusion. We will consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation or gender identity, or any other legally protected basis, in accordance with applicable laws.