Demos is recruiting an exceptional candidate for an exciting role, managing the organisation’s communications activities. Reporting into the Head of External Affairs, this role will suit a professional, enthusiastic and passionate candidate, who is equally comfortable working autonomously and amongst a highly collaborative team.
Each year, Demos publishes a wide range of high quality social and economic research, and hosts scores of events in the UK and internationally. This role is integral to ensuring these outputs receive maximum reach and impact in the media, amongst stakeholders, and the general public.
This position will offer considerable flexibility and the capacity to innovate and considerably shape Demos’ achievements and influence. It presents the opportunity to build extensive national and international networks, to build a strong political acumen, and to contribute to Demos’ intellectual strength.
The successful candidate will be a highly responsive person, with an exceptional level of attention to detail, the ability to take decisions under pressure and manage competing workloads. The capacity to build meaningful relationships, to think innovatively and take the initiative, will all be crucial.
Key responsibilities will involve:
- Proactively managing Demos’ presence in the media, including identifying opportunities for comment and media engagement, pitching opinion pieces, and leading the coordination of responses to major political announcements (such as the Budget)
- Ensuring maximum reach and impact for the launch of our research projects, developing targeted media outreach strategies, preparing press releases and other materials, and disseminating these to various audiences
- Day-to-day management of Demos’ communications channels, including our website, social media accounts and the Demos blog
- Building strong relationships in Westminster and amongst other key sectors, representing Demos at external events and building the organisation’s reach and influence
- Managing Demos’ publications, working with agencies and suppliers, proofing content and ensuring high-quality, on-time delivery
- Preparing media monitoring summaries and evaluations of communications activities
- Supporting the commissioning, editing and publication of the Demos Quarterly journal
- Undertaking stakeholder mapping and preparing briefings to support the Head of External Affairs’ activities, and attending meetings with potential partners and funders as required.
- Contributing to Demos’ culture of ideas, through identifying new opportunities and partnerships for the organisation to pursue through its communications activities.
This role will also work alongside our Events Manager on major events, including supporting and attending party conferences, and will jointly manage publications and permissions requests alongside the Office Manager.
Demos offers a flexible, social working environment and generous leave provisions, however this is a demanding role that will involve some out-of-hours working, and some regional and international travel.
To apply for this position, please submit your curriculum vitae and a cover letter, outlining your experience, your interest in working for Demos, and your salary expectations, to: [email protected]. Applications will close on Friday 31 March, with interviews taking place the following week.