Centre for London is a charity focused on London’s critical challenges. We identify things that aren’t working, research ways to improve them, and then speak with decision makers to persuade them to make the changes necessary to make London better. This could be relating to where people live, how we move around the city, the work we do and where we do it, and the way London connects with other areas of the UK
Are you interested in making London better for the people who live here? From social media to media engagement and website editing, the successful candidate will play a key role in supporting our activities and learn about how decisions are made about London.
Key roles and responsibilities
- Monitor and update the Centre’s social media accounts on a daily basis and provide adhoc support to live tweeting events.
- Manage, update, and write content for the website.
- Coordinate, draft and distribute the Centre’s newsletters and report mailings.
- Draft, edit and distribute press releases, diary notices, opinion pieces and blog posts.
- Develop and maintain our press database, monitor the press inbox and respond to media
requests, set up interviews and support Centre for London spokespeople.
- Proofread materials to ensure clarity, consistency and accessibility.
- Ensure our brand is used consistently across all communications channels and support
staff to make effective use of the brand.
- Contribute to policy briefings and consultation responses when relevant.
Monitoring and evaluation
- Monitor the news agenda and political announcements for opportunities and ensure the
comms calendar is kept up-to-date with external events and speaking engagements.
- Monitor and evaluate the Centre’s impact, keeping an up-to-date record of media
coverage, website and social media analytics, and produce internal and external impact
- Support the maintenance of the organisation’s networks of funders, supporters and
people we try to influence, primarily through ensuring Salesforce (software for tracking
our contacts) is accurate and up to date and in line with data protection requirements.
General responsibilities and duties
- Undertake the duties of the job description in accordance with the operational policies
of Centre for London, including but not limited to the diversity policy and code of
- Maintain good working relations with Trustees, staff, volunteers and other stakeholders.
- Present the organisation in an appropriate and professional manner to its stakeholders.
- Contribute to the development and growth of the organisation through working in
accordance with its wider objectives, corporate philosophy and values.
- Assist at Centre for London events outside of normal working hours as necessary.
- Undertake any other reasonable duties as may be required
Experience and skills
Experience working in a communications team, media or PR environment an
- Experience of drafting copy for websites, newsletters and/or other corporate
communications an advantage.
- Strong understanding and practical use of social media platforms.
- Excellent writing skills and confident at proof reading.
- Highly organised. Creating clear plans and managing delivery challenges. Able to
balance and prioritise multiple tasks, often to urgent and competing deadlines.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Professional and confident communication skills (written and verbal).
- Ability to adapt and learn quickly.
- Strong IT proficiency, such as MS Office, Salesforce, MailChimp and/or WordPress
- Excellent team player.