The Basel Institute on Governance is an international and independent not-for-profit organisation working worldwide with the public and private sectors to counter corruption and other financial crimes and to improve the quality of governance. As a Swiss foundation with headquarters in Basel, the Basel Institute maintains field operations in Africa, Eastern Europe and Latin America. The Basel Institute is an Associated Institute of the University of Basel.
The USAID Indonesia Integrity Initiative (USAID Integritas) is a USD 9.9 million corruption prevention programme in Indonesia implemented by a consortium consisting of Kemitraan (The Partnership for Governance Reform), Indonesia Corruption Watch (ICW), Transparency International-Indonesia (TI-I), and the Basel Institute on Governance. This initiative will provide support for the country’s effort to prevent corruption through enhancing civic engagement and strengthening a culture of integrity and accountability in both the public and private sectors. A focus is on preventing conflicts of interest in procurement and licencing natural resources.
The Compliance and Corporate Governance Specialist implements the Basel Institute’s private-sector engagement as part of the USAID Integritas programme in Indonesia. This will include the streams related to state-owned enterprises (SOEs), private-sector compliance and High-Level Reporting Mechanisms (HLRMs). In this role, s/he will work closely with the Basel Institute’s Compliance and Collective Action team as well as the project’s lead partner Kemitraan, ICW and TI-I.
Key roles and responsibilities
- Provide compliance assistance to SOEs, including gap assessments in terms of complying with international anti-corruption compliance best practices, developing anti-corruption action plans, and supporting the SOEs in their implementation of the action plans.
- Implement an HLRM as a mitigation mechanism for handling conflicts of interest in procurement, including scoping opportunities for HLRMs, providing the institutional capacity building efforts to prepare the groundwork for an HLRM, facilitating its adoption and ensuring its implementation.
- Provide expertise to a team of international experts on private-sector and SOE engagement.
- Provide advice on good corporate governance for programmes implemented by other Integritas consortium members.
Experience and skills
- University degree in law, combined with at least 10 years of relevant professional experience in compliance, preferably in-house or as a consultant.
- Proven experience in managing or implementing a corporate anti-corruption compliance programme.
- Familiarity with industry practices, international standards and trends on compliance.
- Excellent time management, organisational and planning skills, and ability to multi-task and prioritise.
- Attention to detail and problem-solving skills, and independent assurance of follow-up to assigned tasks.
- Motivated to work for an internationally operating not-for-profit organisation, including with partners in various countries.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in Bahasa Indonesia and English.
NB: This position is for citizens of Indonesia living in Indonesia. Working from Jakarta is a requirement.