The Basel Institute on Governance is an international and independent not-for-profit organisation working worldwide with the public and private sector to counter corruption and other financial crimes and to improve the quality of governance. As a Swiss foundation with headquarters in Basel, the Basel Institute maintains field operations in Africa, Eastern Europe, Southeast Asia and Latin America. The Basel Institute is an Associated Institute of the University of Basel.
The Basel Institute is providing a range of advisory services to Ukraine’s government and non-governmental sectors to mitigate corruption risks. It has been adjusted in response to the risk profiles of our partners, which have fundamentally changed in the last year. There is an increased focus on advisory services to government institutions and state-owned enterprises in relation to infrastructure development and reconstruction.
A new compliance advisory mandate requires a full-time individual in Kyiv who can work with the Senior Corruption Prevention Specialist and Switzerland-based advisors to provide expertise in legal and compliance measures and standards related to corruption prevention. This will require practical support to help implement, mentor, train and provide policy advice as may be needed. This position requires in-depth engagement and flexibility in line with the evolving situation.
Communications and modes of working will therefore be agreed and varied as may be necessary, and shall be determined through ongoing communication.
- Conduct legal and compliance risk gap analyses, corruption risk assessments and other analytical work, in collaboration with stakeholders.
- Develop new and adjust existing anti-corruption plans.
- Develop and conduct trainings and other awareness and capacity building events.
- Support the Senior Specialist in mentoring anti-corruption and compliance officials in the implementation of anti-corruption programme efforts.
- Prepare regular reporting for government, civil society and donors.
- At the request of the Senior Corruption Prevention Specialist, participate in coordination meetings, brainstorming sessions and workshops.
- Contribute to public dialogue through blogs, interviews and similar activities, as agreed in advance with Basel Institute leadership.
- Due to the multi-sectoral nature of the engagement, the Specialist will engage with numerous stakeholders at the Basel Institute.
Experience and skills
- At least five years’ experience in corruption prevention, compliance, risk management or internal controls, either in government, civil society or the private sector.
- Good understanding of government internal controls and corruption prevention instruments in Ukraine.
- Experience working with state-owned enterprises or the infrastructure sector is an advantage.
- Training experience relating to corruption prevention an advantage.
- Good English presentation and writing skills.
Please send your written application (CV, letter of motivation, contact details of three professional references; all documents merged in a single PDF file), at your earliest convenience, but no later than 30 April 2023 by email to: [email protected]
Equal opportunity employer
The Basel Institute is an equal opportunity employer. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.