Al-Shabaka: The Palestinian Policy Network is the first independent and transnational Palestinian think tank. We are a non-partisan, US-registered non-profit organization, whose mission is to educate and foster public debate on Palestinian human rights and self-determination within the framework of international law. Al-Shabaka was founded in 2009. We are a remote-based think tank with a network of nearly 200 policy analysts and a core staff of six team members based in the Middle East, North Africa, Europe, and the United States.
Al-Shabaka has an annual operating budget of just under $400k, with support from individual donors, foundations, and governments. We are seeking a part-time (50%) Development Manager to bring our financial resources to the next level, diversifying our portfolio of institutional support and building up our individual donor base. The Development Manager will play a leading role in the design and implementation of the organization’s fundraising strategy, grants management, and donor acquisition.
Key roles and responsibilities
Specifically, the Development Manager will be responsible for the following functions:
Development Strategy (10%)
- Lead in the design of Al-Shabaka’s fundraising strategy, including the creation of tangible fundraising goals and benchmarks.
- Oversee the implementation of the fundraising strategy, tracking process and revising as needed.
- Compile reports on progress, obstacles, achievements, and lessons learned.
Grants Management (60%)
- Manage Al-Shabaka’s institutional partnerships, including proposal writing, grant reporting, and agreement renewals.
- Monitor Al-Shabaka activities, outputs, and expenditures to ensure compliance with grant agreements.
- Represent Al-Shabaka at meetings with partners, presenting the organization’s vision, strategy, and project updates/goals.
- Coordinate with the rest of the team to develop new project ideas and identify underfunded areas of work.
- Research and pursue opportunities for new partnerships.
Individual Fundraising (30%)
- Lead in small, medium, and recurring donor acquisitions and nurturing.
- Design and implement annual fundraising campaigns, crafting copy for mass email appeals, conceptualizing fundraising videos, conducting targeted outreach to past donors, and coordinating with other staff as needed.
- Organize membership drives to encourage contributions from Al-Shabaka’s policy network.
- Manage Al-Shabaka’s donor database.
Experience and skills
- 3+ years of grants management experience, including proposal writing, budget development, expenditure tracking, and grant reporting.
- Successful track record in digital fundraising, including campaign creation utilizing email and social media platforms.
- Experience in designing annual fundraising strategies for organizations of a similar size.
- Deep knowledge of the fundraising landscape – including prospects and challenges – for Palestinian organizations.
- A solid grasp of the Palestinian question, current and across time, with a demonstrated ability to anchor fundraising efforts within a framework of Palestinian liberation.
- Attention to detail while managing multiple projects is essential.
- Interest in being a part of a close knit, remote-based team, balancing independent work with collaborative involvement.
- Lived experience in Palestine or the region is an added advantage.
- An excellent command of English is required; good working knowledge of Arabic preferred.
The annual salary range for this position is $20,000-25,000. In addition to the base salary, Al-Shabaka offers its staff flexible scheduling, unlimited leave, and modest subsidies for healthcare and technological equipment.
Please email [email protected] with a resume and cover letter, highlight your past fundraising experience and achievements. Please indicate “Development Manager Application” in the subject line.