The Center for Global Development, an independent think and do tank that works to reduce global poverty and improve lives through innovative economic research.
As Digital and Social Media Strategist, you will be an integral part of the organization’s Washington, DC-based communications team. Working on our digital team and reporting to the Assistant Director, Digital Communications, your job will be part strategist, part content producer. This role will work to raise CGD’s digital profile, target and build our audiences, increase online engagement, and support broader communications objectives.
Key roles and responsibilities
Responsibilities include developing a social media engagement strategy, creating and posting tailored content across channels, translating in-depth policy research into shareable content, and live tweeting CGD events.
In this position, you will champion CGD’s digital marketing work and cross-channel promotional strategies, from crafting incentive initiatives, to assisting with email marketing efforts, to running search ad campaigns. Working alongside our digital team, the chosen candidate will establish goals and key performance indicators to evaluate and evolve the organization’s digital efforts. We are also looking for a tech-savvy teammate who’s willing to get under the hood on our email and/or web platforms – which will come in hand as you craft cross-channel campaigns.
In addition, you may be required to assist with basic writing tasks, including drafting and editing of newsletters, web content, digital ads, and other forms of written communication as needed.
Experience and skills
- Familiarity with trends, tools, and innovations in social media, and the ability to shape a
data-driven strategy that continues to build CGD’s profile, expand our European and
global presence, and ensure we’re driving and engaged in online debates about the
future of global development
- A proven track record of growing a digital presence for an organization, campaign, or corporation, and an appetite to create targeted digital campaigns
- Excellent writing skills
- Proficiency in social media analytics tools, such as Sprout Social or Keyhole
- Experience with graphics tools and software, such as Adobe Creative Cloud (especially Spark) or similar strongly preferred
- Experience with coding and troubleshooting on email and web platforms (HTML, CSS) preferred
- Equipped to handle multiple projects at once and work well under deadlines
- An independent self-starter with a willingness to pitch in
- The ideal candidate will have a keen interest or experience in global development and/or foreign policy
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field and 2-3 years of work experience (including relevant internships) are required.