On Think Tanks (OTT) is looking for a digital communications officer to promote our content, online events and network activities through a range of digital platforms. This is a new role that includes engaging with OTT’s audience and stakeholders, ensuring that our messaging, branding and engagement is clear, and that it complements OTT’s strategy. The digital communications officer will be expected to manage our social media accounts, maintain our website, organise external online events, and prepare digital publications. The role also requires supporting OTT’s director and director of communications with fundraising activities and other operational tasks.
We are looking for a creative self-starter with attention to detail, a knack for writing crisp messages, and the ability to work with a range of desktop and web-based tools.
Key roles and responsibilities
- Oversee OTT’s social media content and build our networks and databases
- Moderate social media channel discussions and comments
- Monitor and update OTT’s communications calendar
- Work closely with OTT’s director of communications to produce and implement strategies for growth in organisational reach and influence
- Review and implement OTT’s communications strategy, including setting short and long-term goals
- Ensure our communications and branding continue to complement OTT’s overall strategy
- Track and analyse key performance metrics of OTT’s website and social media posts and channels, using common analytical tools like Google Analytics
- Develop and grow the mailing list and newsletter readership
- Create and implement engaging digital campaigns for key OTT outputs, which include the School for Thinktankers, the Open Think Tank Directory, along with reports and publications, articles, podcasts, videos, and material from the OTT archive
- Assist with the preparation of communications strategies and/or communication outputs for external bids and proposals
- Lead the organisation’s calendar of online events and webinars, including liaising with collaborative partners and external suppliers, and overseeing promotion and guest attendance
- Organise, manage and capture information from public meetings, workshops and seminars
- Edit material from online events according to OTT’s brand guidelines
- Support the production of OTT’s digital and print publications by conceptualising visualisations and creating information graphics and other creative assets. An eye for design and experience with layout design will be considered an added bonus!
- Liaising with external providers (filmmakers, graphic designers, and editors) to produce OTT’s digital content
- Help to steer and develop OTT’s brand, which includes advising colleagues and external partners on brand-related questions
- Experience working in a communications team, media or PR environment
- Experience drafting copy for websites, newsletters and/or other corporate communications
- Excellent skills in Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel). Basic design and HTML skills strongly preferred.
- Strong experience managing and creating content for social media platforms; measuring and reporting the performance of digital content using analytics tools
- Familiar with online event platforms and WordPress
- Excellent writing skills
- Professional and confident communication skills (written and verbal)
- Understanding of Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat), or willingness to learn
- Basic video editing skills
- An enthusiastic self-starter
- A creative thinker, who grasps media logic and enjoys communicating research
- The ability to work independently within a team context
- Creativity, sound editorial judgment, a good eye for what’s on brand, and attention to detail
- Excellent organisational and time management skills
- A passion for and the ability to quickly adapt to new technology
- Excellent problem solver, eager to share out-of-the-box ideas
- Able to manage multiple projects
- Fast, flexible thinker who is able to shift gears on short notice, without losing attention to detail
- Must be comfortable working with remote colleagues over the phone, Slack, email, and teleconference
Perfect command of spoken and written English is essential.
French and/or Spanish would be an additional asset.
Other useful information:
This is a remote working position with an initial contract for six months.
You will be employed as a consultant on a 20 days a month basis on a USD50-100 daily fee, depending on experience.
To apply, please submit your resume (no longer than two pages) and a one-page cover letter about why you’re right for this job. The cover letter must be tailored to On Think Tanks, showing a clear understanding of our online presence and our social media channels. You may include up to two short writing samples in your application.
Please send everything in one pdf file to [email protected] with the subject line: Digital communications officer.
Diversity is important to us in everything we do. We encourage applicants of all ages, genders, sexual orientations, races, and ethnicities.