Are you interested in working for a growing and multi-cultural organisation from the Global South? Are you tech-savvy and know how to convey complex research and policy ideas through hard-hitting and inspiring communications online?
We’re looking for a Digital Communications Officer to help us promote and optimise Southern Voice’s research, events and network activities through a range of digital platforms. The Digital Communications Officer will be planning and managing day-to-day content production for the Southern Voice website and social media channels, liaising closely with the Head of Communications. The candidate should have an excellent understanding of the latest digital trends, constantly looking for new ways to reach existing and new audiences.
Key roles and responsibilities
- Social Media: Devise and implement the organization’s social media strategy. Manage and grow all institutional social media accounts (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube).
- Grow the mailing list and newsletter readership.
- Grow traffic to the website and in particular to articles and publications.
- Keep website up to date, create new pages and propose ideas for better usability and new structure/look.
- Create and implement engaging digital campaigns through e.g., infographics, animations and videos for key SV outputs (new reports, articles, events).
- Regularly analyse and report on SV communications performance on social media and website.
- Moderate and monitor social media channel discussions and comments.
- Research images for publications and posts. Create promotional material for and from events.
Experience and skills
- Essential: Possess excellent skills in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat) or similar, Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel) and Content Management Systems.
- Design and HTML skills are strongly preferred.
- Excellent writing skills in English.
- Strong experience managing and creating content for social media platforms; measuring and reporting the performance of digital content using analytics tools.
- Ideal: BA in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing, Journalism, Development, International Relations or related field.
- 3 years of digital communications experience working for a non-profit, media outlet, marketing or ad agency, preferably in an international development context.
- Familiar with email and marketing platforms (e.g. Mailchimp, google analytics, google console) and WordPress. Skills Keen interest in and knowledge of international relief and development or related fields; prior experience working at an international organization strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated capacity for effective teamwork and leadership abilities.
- Excellent problem-solver, eager to share out-of-the-box ideas.
- Excellent organizational abilities.
- Able to manage multiple projects and cope with stressful situations.
- A fast, flexible thinker who is able to shift gears on short notice, without losing attention to detail. Strong communications and inter-cultural skills.
- Positive, self-motivated, and mature presence in the workplace.
- Must be comfortable working with remote colleagues over different time zones, over the phone, via Slack, email, and teleconference.