Afrobarometer (AB) is a pan-African, nonpartisan, non-profit research network that measures the political, economic, and social atmosphere prevailing in African countries. Guided by the vision that African societies thrive when African voices count in public policy and development, AB provides high-quality data and analysis on citizens’ evaluations and experiences of democratic governance and quality of life.
The Digital Portfolio Manager (DPM) develops and oversees the creation of clear and compelling digital content on the AB website and social media channels for existing and new audiences. The DPM will shape, create, and evolve digital content while drawing on the experience of and guiding others in the organization. The DPM will take responsibility for digital content and its quality throughout a user’s journey. S/he will be comfortable using data and research to support decisions.
Key roles and responsibilities
Hands-on: There will be considerable hands-on work required in all the areas listed below
Coordination: There will be a coordination role, guiding others across AB in how to provide suitable content and, where the budget permits, overseeing the work of any freelancers and external agencies to deliver quality material
Strategic: There will be a strategic element to the post, supporting the Head of Communications, Head of Publications, and Director of Engagement in prioritization of digital activities.
Experience and skills
- At least five years’ website management/development
- Fluent spoken and written English
- Proven track record developing content to meet user needs for digital services
- Adept at providing simple, clear content to communicate complex issues
- Dynamic and committed, with deep interactive media experience
- Combined user, editorial, design, and technical understanding sufficient to lead a small internal team and external suppliers in these roles
- Natural collaborator who can work with a variety of partners and organizational cultures
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to influence at a senior level
- Excellent planning and organizational skills including the ability to prioritize activities considering deadlines, resources, and other relevant issues
- Excellent project management skills, and substantial experience in delivering large, complex new media projects on time and on budget
- Creative flair and experience in creating innovative content for large but segmented audiences
- Demonstrable interest and experience in some of AB’s target audiences and potential subject areas
- An understanding of accessibility and usability best practice