The International Budget Partnership (IBP) is excited to announce an amazing opportunity to impact lives by ensuring that public resources match public priorities and hasten the end to poverty in our world. IBP, the leading international organization working to advance budget transparency and accountability around the world, is seeking a creative and strategic visionary to bring our work to life among key constituencies and help us increase the quality of life for the world’s poor citizens. This opportunity comes at a critical time as public budgeting has emerged as the central global challenge of the 21st century.
IBP works closely with a community of skilled independent organizations in over 115 countries—from Latin America to Sub-Saharan Africa to Southeast Asia—to ensure that governments raise and spend public funds in ways that benefit poor and marginalized communities. In order to increase engagement and expand the influence of IBP and our partners, we require a savvy Director of Communications who not only wants to help these populations around the world, but also can convey the importance of this work in compelling ways to target audiences in governments, donors, and civil society organizations around the world.
Directing the communications team and working closely with IBP’s leadership to develop and oversee the strategic direction, design and planning, implementation, and evaluation of communications, the Director of Communications will embed communications across the organization as a whole. This includes communications strategy and planning, message and content development, and overseeing design and creative services and digital and video productions. Internally, our professionals enjoy a workplace that is passionate about its mission and is a multi-cultural environment with strong camaraderie as it works towards transforming lives.
Key roles and responsibilities
- Develop, coordinate, implement, embed and evaluate an IBP-wide integrated communications strategy and planning;
- Serve as a key member of executive management team to ensure that our communications are aligned with organizational goals and integrated strategically into the program work to maximize IBP impact;
- Identify and manage upcoming communications opportunities and priorities and implement strategies accordingly in collaboration with program teams;
- Help further establish the organization’s place in the international policy world as a sought-after, independent, nongovernment voice on country and international public finance and development issues, by building on IBP’s leadership in the field and raising the profile of our research and advocacy;
- Advance the organization’s agenda and support its programs through such tools and tactics as strategy and message development, editorial support, social media and digital communications, powerful storytelling, media relations, design and creative services, and digital and video production, among others;
- Oversee all communications policies, guidelines, and processes to: manage the IBP brand; ensure the production of high-quality, high-impact work; and steward organizational resources effectively; and
- Work closely with the Executive Director and Associate Director of Development to build materials that increase and diversify our funding base, especially in Europe and with individual donors.
Experience and skills
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, and/or equivalent required;
- Master’s degree, preferred.
- Minimum of 12-15 years of experience developing and implementing strategic communications plans that focus on organizational transformation through its approach to communications in the non-profit/social change sector.
- A successful track record in day-to-day communications strategy and tactical implementation, as well as longer-term planning and evaluation.
- Significant experience communicating to a variety of audiences.
- Significant experience in leading teams, managing staff, and project operations as well as working overseas and/or on international issues.
- Experience with, or expertise in, budget issues a plus.
Knowledge and skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Language skills – Fluency in English required.
- Strong interpersonal and cross-communication skills, and the ability to thrive in and contribute to a culture of collaboration and teamwork in a diverse work environment.
- High level of organization; a strong ability to prioritize tasks to meet multiple deadlines.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office package, required; proficiency with other specialist software applications, desirable.
- Acumen for strategic communications and creative thinking.
- Commitment and enthusiasm of IBP’s mission.
- Ability to add value to the organisation and all programs through strategic communications support.
- Experience in global organisations.
- Availability for international travel