The Sunwater Institute is a nonprofit, nonpartisan, interdisciplinary think tank based in North Bethesda, Maryland.
The Institute seeks a Director of Development to help establish a high-level individual investor program, maximizing support for its mission and vision.
Reporting directly to the President of the Sunwater Institute, the Director of Development will develop long-term philanthropic relationships with donors, manage fundraising programs, plan and coordinate strategic steps to reach financial goals, oversee donor communications, manage development operations, and become a leader in the think tank community.
The ideal candidate will have experience identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding gifts primarily from high net worth individuals and foundations. The Director of Development will be a dedicated, revenue-generating performer with a passion for Sunwater’s non-partisan mission and a willingness to work in a growth environment.
- Work with the President and Founder to establish organizational fundraising goals and a fundraising plan to meet those goals.
- Take responsibility for comprehensive activities designed to build and manage a pipeline of individual and institutional foundation investors with 5-7 figure giving potential.
- Develop donor strategies for relationship-building and gift solicitation and manage the forward movement of all donors.
- Maintain a good working knowledge of the organization’s programs and funding priorities.
- Build a high-performing team to achieve fundraising goals.
- Work with President to develop and grow the Board of Directors; support Board of Directors activities.
- At least 5 years of experience in non-profit development or equivalent experience with proven revenue results.
- Must have closed gifts of at least $100,000.
- Strong commitment to advancing the mission of the Sunwater Institute and a commitment to its nonpartisan agenda and pursuit of global recommendations and solutions.
- Bachelor’s degree is required.