Capita is an independent, nonpartisan think tank. Our purpose is to build a future in which all children and families flourish.
Launched in 2018, Capita is a creative space to explore how the great cultural and social transformations of our day affect young children, and to tackle the interrelated problems that prevent us from taking a holistic and effective approach to meeting the needs of children and families, particularly those furthest from opportunity.
Through published analysis and commentary, private seminars and workshops, public meetings and convenings, and direct consultations, we catalyze creative new solutions to pressing challenges and provide foresight to leaders shaping a future in which children and families can develop to realize their full potential in a just, peaceful, prosperous society on a sustainable planet.
Are you a creative, thoughtful, and effective communicator with a passion for building a more just, more humane future for all children and families?
If so, Capita is looking for a Director, Public Engagement and Strategic Communications to join its team.
Key roles and responsibilities
- Build Capita’s capacity to substantially impact and affect policy, social innovation, funding, and culture across the world through meaningful outreach to external stakeholders, the development of collaborative partnerships, world-class communications and public relations, and new funding and business opportunities.
- Coordinate, oversee, and produce communications products and services for Capita’s target audiences, focusing on getting the right knowledge, in the right format, at the right time, to the right people, while tying all outreach efforts back to Capita’s ideas, insights, innovations, and programs.
- Innovate to deliver timely communications in various media (audio, video, text) and via multiple channels (website, social media, direct mail, events, etc.), in cooperation with the CEO, Board of Directors, relevant internal and external researchers, and partner agencies.
- Lead the development and execution of public engagement, outreach, and communications “campaigns” for programs and publications, and manage the production of associated communications components.
- Provide advice and support to project personnel on ways to promote public events externally, to communicate around their outcomes, and to produce associated communications components.
- Serve as the focal point for communications, press, and social media, including by working to strengthen day-to-day collaboration with Board members and external partners.
- Manage the overall and project-based communications budget plans in collaboration with policy and research and project personnel, and under the supervision of the CEO, with an eye to overall impact with Capita’s target audiences, and the cost-effectiveness of each type of communication activity and product.
- In addition to the tasks outlined above, the person in this role will be responsible for helping to maintain our website, mailing lists, and building other marketing and communications infrastructure.
Experience and skills
- Excellent communications and drafting skills, with fluency in both oral and written English.
- A minimum of five (5) years of progressively relevant professional work experience, including the management of communications.
- Keen insight into how to drive both targeted reach and engagement on digital channels.
- Demonstrated commitment to justice, diversity, and equity, and a willingness to contribute to an inclusive work environment and society.
- Experience with editorial and content management processes.
- Demonstrated sensitivity to issues impacting young children and their families, especially people of color.
- Excellent team player, comfortable with ambiguity and a fast-paced environment.
- Self-starter who thrives with working remotely for a global organization.
- Proven ability to carry out and communicate ideas.
- Demonstrated track record in academic and policy communications.
- High-level of comfort in managing external contractors.
It is a one-year contract and may be renewed upon review.