New Local is a think tank and network working to transform public services and empower communities. We publish research on some of today’s most pressing policy and social issues – like health, housing and welfare – informed by our network of 60-plus local authorities.
To complement our expanding organisation, we are recruiting for a director of research, which is a full-time permanent position. This new role is an exciting opportunity to make a big impact and take our research programme to the next level. We are looking for a director of research who shares our values and our passion for practical and policy change.
Key roles and responsibilities
- To oversee a programme of inspiring and impactful research which is core to New Local’s role as a thought leader and practice organisation focussed on developing community power.
- To play an oversight and editorial role to ensure high quality across the research programme and to lead research projects directly.
- To manage and coach a team of researchers, which currently number five.
Experience and skills
- An outstanding writer and editor, with a demonstrable track record of brilliant writing for a range of audiences and a deep understanding of how to present complex research in engaging and accessible ways.
- A supportive coach, with experience of managing and motivating high performing teams.
- An excellent track record in research, including generating ideas, ensuring credibility of research and that outputs are accessible and engaging to a wide range of audiences.
- A brilliant project manager, able to manage projects within a fast-paced and busy environment and to juggle competing deadlines.
- An articulate and knowledgeable connector, who has the understanding and confidence to build relationships and work in an extremely networked way.
- An imaginative communicator and facilitator who can speak to and draw out compelling ideas for change.
- Strongly entrepreneurial and committed to business development.
- Qualitative research skills, which are at the core of our research approach, including the willingness to experiment and apply different methodologies to different projects.
- Quantitative research skills, which are a developing aspect of our research approach, and we welcome applicants with expertise in this area.
- A champion for community power, who understands and is committed to its principles.
- A friendly and supportive colleague able to work in a highly creative and collaborative environment that encourages autonomy and excellence from all members of the team.
Other useful information
New Local operates a highly flexible approach to work location and welcomes applicants from across the UK