The R Street Institute—a free-market think tank headquartered in Washington, D.C., with regional offices across the country—seeks an energetic and self-motivated editorial specialist with demonstrated experience editing op-eds, magazine articles, blog posts, outreach communications and donor materials. If you are the right fit, you will report to the director of research publications. If you want to join an energetic organization and do something extraordinary, this may be just the opportunity you need.
We understand that people gain skills through a variety of professional, personal, educational, and volunteer experiences. If you believe you have the transferable skills necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of this role, we encourage you to apply.
Your typical day at R Street may include working with the Communications team and policy writers to craft and edit powerful op-eds, edit blog posts and longer-form articles for publication, or proofread grant proposals. You may also edit federal and state legislative testimony, regulatory comments, coalition letters or business development materials; and perform other ad hoc special projects as assigned. This role is nested within the Publications/Editorial department, which is housed alongside R Street’s policy team. Please note this is not a policy writing position and, as such, does not require a political or ideological affiliation representative of our policy positions. In fact, we believe the strongest candidates will be those who can approach our scholarship with a critical lens.
Key roles and responsibility
Other aspects of your role:
- Copyedit op-eds and work with Communications team and authors to maximize impact
- Proofread and perform light copyedits on proposals, other donor materials or outreach communications
- Receive, review and edit all blog post submissions
- Edit and coordinate graphic layout for our one-pagers (“R Sheets” or Explainers)
- Edit state and federal testimony and regulatory comments as needed
- Work with authors to improve writing content and style where needed
- Ensure all final copy is ready for publication, appropriate for target audiences and consistent with house style guidelines, and R Street’s brand and mission.
- Periodic lookout shifts to guard against ninja infiltration
Experience and skills
- 3-5 years of experience as an editor, preferably working with op-eds, blog posts or other materials for a general readership
- A bachelor’s degree in English, journalism or a related field
- A near-obsessive attention to detail
- An ability to perfect pieces of writing to the greatest extent possible under tight deadlines
- High proficiency in Microsoft Word
- Willingness to learn and consistently apply the R Street style guide and help revise it as needed
- Basic familiarity with or interest in learning about major debates in the areas of energy and the environment; cybersecurity and emerging threats; competition policy; governance; finance, insurance and trade; and criminal justice and harm reduction
- Fluency in AP Style is a must, as is a working knowledge of Chicago and/or MLA. R Street has its own house style guide, which you’ll be required to learn, but it is based upon a hybrid of these styles and existing familiarity with them will ease the learning curve.
- A sense of humor and a desire to grow with a dynamic organization
- An ability to work independently as part of a highly functional and productive team
- Profound love of cats specifically encouraged
R Street offers a flexible working arrangement. The candidate will be required to work from our Washington, D.C. office at least twice a week with the ability to work from home on the other days. Currently, our D.C. offices are closed and we are working remotely.
R Street strives to provide a compensation package superior to those at other think tanks and nonprofits. In addition to a competitive salary, we provide a health insurance option entirely paid by the employer (even for families); wellness benefit; employer-subsidized mobile phones benefit; 401(k) contributions with up to a 4 percent match; and an exceptionally generous vacation policy.
R Street does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, era of military service, gender identity or anything else that’s illegal, immoral or stupid to use as a basis for hiring.
We currently plan to accept applications for this job until it is filled. Qualified individuals will be contacted to perform both a writing and an editorial assessment. We will then contact ideal individuals for telephone interviews on a rolling basis. Interviews will be held virtually via Zoom.