The R Street Institute is a free-market think tank headquartered in Washington, D.C., with regional offices across the country.
We seek an energetic and self-motivated editorial specialist with demonstrated experience editing op-eds, magazine articles, blog posts, outreach communications, and donor materials.
Key roles and responsibilities
Your typical day at R Street may include working with the Communications team and policy writers to craft and edit powerful op-eds for national and regional outlets, editing blog posts and longer-form articles for magazine publication, or proofreading grant proposals. You may also edit federal and state legislative testimony, coalition letters or business development materials; and perform other ad hoc special projects as assigned. This role is nested within the Publications/Editorial department, which is housed alongside R Street’s policy team. Please note this is not a policy writing position and, as such, does not require a political or ideological affiliation representative of our policy positions. In fact, we believe the strongest candidates will be those who can approach our scholarship with a critical lens.
Other Aspects of Your Role:
- Copyedit op-eds and work with Communications team and authors to maximize impact
- Proofread and perform light copyedits on proposals, other donor materials or outreach communications
- Receive, review and edit all blog post submissions
- Edit and coordinate graphic layout of our one-pager series (“R Sheets”)
- Edit state and federal testimony and regulatory comments as needed
- Work with authors to make editorial changes, including substantive edits where needed
- Ensure all final copy is ready for publication, appropriate for target audiences and consistent with house style guidelines, and R Street’s brand and mission.
Experience and skills
- 3-5 years of experience as an editor, preferably working with op-eds, blog posts or other materials for a general readership
- A bachelor’s degree in English or journalism
- A near-obsessive attention to detail
- An ability to perfect pieces of writing to the greatest extent possible under tight deadlines
- High proficiency in Microsoft Word
- Willingness to learn and consistently apply the R Street style guide and help revise it as needed
- Basic familiarity with or interest in learning about major debates in the areas of energy and the environment, technology and national/cybersecurity, commercial freedom, governance, science policy, budget policy, insurance and trade, criminal justice and harm reduction
- Fluency in AP Style is a must
- A sense of humor and a desire to grow with a dynamic organization
- An ability to work independently as part of a highly functional and productive team
- Profound love of cats specifically encouraged
- Due to COVID-19, this will begin as a full-time, work-from-home position.
- Once we reopen, you will be based in our office in Washington, D.C. R Street is growing rapidly but remains a close-knit team.