The R Street Institute—a free-market think tank headquartered in Washington, D.C. with regional offices across the country—seeks an energetic events and external affairs manager to plan and execute all R Street events and represent R Street to outside audiences. If you are the right fit, you will join a mission-driven, creative and energetic organization committed to doing extraordinary things.
Your typical day at R Street would include executing Capitol Hill briefings, planning creatively for future event opportunities, representing R Street at coalition meetings around D.C., coordinating with panel participants, vendors and venues, drafting newsletters and statements for external audiences, and tracking event budgets. This position will report to the Director of Government Affairs and work cross-functionally with R Street’s policy and communications teams.
Key roles and responsibilities
- Directing logistics for the organization’s events held in Washington, D.C. and across the country. All events are currently held virtually due to the COVID-19 pandemic
- Collaborating with colleagues on the policy team and in both Washington and state offices to design impactful policy events that reach our intended audiences
- Planning and executing logistics action items for well-run, professional events, including coordination with staff, vendors, venues, contractors and event participants
- Preparing and sending all event-related communications, including a weekly newsletter and follow-up communications
- Identifying ways to improve our event planning and execution
- Representing R Street’s brand and policy positions at coalition meetings and public events organized by our allies
- Building relationships with congressional staff and other external stakeholders to cultivate opportunities to work together, particularly in public-facing ways
- Working collaboratively with R Street staff to help maximize the impact and reach of the Institute’s wide range of policy research and writing
- Assisting with the marketing of other R Street policy programs to general audiences, organizations, foundations, media outlets and other stakeholders
- Managing R Street’s swag inventory
Experience and skills
- Above all else, the applicant must be a detail-oriented and imaginative fast learner
- Must be organized and have a knack for streamlining processes and creating efficiencies. In fact, a deep, weirdly nerdy passion for organization and granular logistics is strongly encouraged.
- At least 3 years of experience in event planning or similar work, ideally in a policy setting, is preferred.
- Ability to present oneself with the highest degree of professionalism and to serve as a strong brand ambassador for the organization
- Self-starter with a knack for problem solving
- Superior verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience working with Capitol Hill or in the public policy/think tank sphere is a plus
- Passion for free markets and limited, effective government is desirable
- Sense of humor and a desire to grow with a dynamic organization
Other useful information
R Street offers a flexible working arrangement. Candidates must be based in the Washington D.C. area and available to travel locally and nationally for events. The candidate will be required to be in the office a minimum of 2 days a week. Currently, our D.C. offices are closed and we are working remotely.
We currently plan to accept applications for this job until filled. We will contact qualified individuals for telephone interviews and conduct them on a rolling basis. Due to COVID-19, we will hold interviews virtually, via Zoom, until our D.C. office reopens.
To apply, you must upload a cover letter and resume in Microsoft Word or PDF format.
Compensation, Benefits and Perks
R Street strives to provide a compensation package superior to those at other think tanks and nonprofits. In addition to a competitive salary, we provide the following benefits and perks:
Unlimited paid time off policy, including all federal holidays, the day after Thanksgiving and two weeks holiday closure in December
Alternating Fridays off
A health insurance option entirely paid by the employer (even for families)
Dental and vision insurance
401(k) contributions with up to a 4 percent match
HSA employer contribution match
Quarterly wellness reimbursement
Mobile equipment reimbursement
Monthly mobile plan reimbursement
Annual educational and professional development reimbursement
An option between a child care assistance, pet care assistance or student loan repayment assistance reimbursement
R Street does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, era of military service, gender identity, relationship structure or anything else that’s illegal, immoral or nonsensical to use as a basis for hiring.