The Nuffield Trust is an independent health think tank. We aim to improve the quality of health care in the UK by providing evidence-based research and policy analysis and informing and generating debate.
The post will be based in central London, although some periodic UK travel will be required.
We are looking to recruit a creative, ambitious and motivated person to join our high performing Communications team in the role of Events and Marketing Officer. You will play a key role in helping us to inform and generate debate by shaping and delivering a high-profile and impactful events programme for health and social care leaders and policy-makers.
The other core part of the role will be to support our marketing communications and stakeholder engagement plans. This is a significant opportunity for someone looking to forge a communications career in a public policy environment.
Key roles and responsibilities
- To take the lead on managing and delivering conferences, policy debates and seminars, with specific responsibility for:
- Managing all elements of the event planning process from conception to completion, including running events on the day;
- Working with the Events and Marketing Manager and colleagues across the organisation to develop creative event programmes and plan new event content;
- Developing effective working relationships with event partners and external stakeholders such as policy makers, NHS managers and clinicians, and academics;
- Working with the wider communications team to ensure we use social media and digital approaches effectively to promote the content from our events.
- To help deliver marketing plans which promote our research and analysis, with specific responsibility for:
- Collaborating with the wider communications team to develop dissemination plans and build audience lists to promote our work, with a particular focus on NHS and other professional stakeholders;
- Working with the Events and Marketing Manager to widen our audience profile and increase engagement with new audiences.
- To play a role in coordinating communications activities for assigned projects, with specific responsibility for:
- Acting as communications lead for a number of projects, with support from the wider Communications team, developing an understanding of how communications is conducted in a research organisation.
- To develop our Salesforce database, with specific responsibility for:
- Working with the database freelancer to ensure effective data management within Salesforce;
- Supporting the Events and Marketing Manager to work with colleagues across the organisation to expand the use of the database.
Experience and skills
- Educated to degree level
- Ideally we are looking for someone who has previously worked in a policy or communications department, or someone who can demonstrate the desire to transition into such a role;
- Experience of managing events from conception to completion;
- Understanding of how to devise stakeholder lists and conduct audience analysis to ensure effective communication;
- Experience of working within a complex work environment that requires extensive communication with senior internal and external stakeholders.
Skills and knowledge
- Excellent organisational skills, able to prioritise a busy workload within tight deadlines;
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, including tact, diplomacy and assertiveness;
- A creative thinker and problem solver who can demonstrate initiative;
- Excellent attention to detail and a logical approach to work;
- Calmness under pressure;
- Willingness to work outside of normal office hours on occasion when required;
- A commitment to equal opportunities. The post holder should support the ethos of The Nuffield Trust and uphold its commitment to equality regardless of race, gender, religion, disability or sexual orientation.