Third Way is a national think tank that champions modern center-left ideas.
Third Way is seeking an Executive Coordinator to directly support the Climate and Energy Program, including a member of Third Way’s management team, to achieve the highest impact possible in their work by supporting them administratively, logistically, and with communications and social media. Additionally, the Executive Coordinator will support events, finalize products, and coordinate efforts across the organization to distribute those products worldwide.
The Climate and Energy Program is focused on ensuring that center-left policymakers and organizations embrace a climate plan that puts the United States on the fastest, fairest path to net-zero emissions by 2050. This position will report to the Senior Vice President (SVP) and work closely with the Director of the Program, as well as the rest of the team.
Key roles and responsibilities
As the Executive Coordinator, a typical day might include:
- Managing schedules, meeting set-up, and meeting and calendar logistics for the SVP and Director for Climate and Energy;
- Providing background research in preparation for meetings and events, and ensuring appropriate follow-up;
- Coordinating travel arrangements including booking transportation and lodging and providing pre-travel logistical briefing materials, and preparing expense reports and reimbursements;
- Assisting other team members with researching and writing policy-themed reports;
- Proofreading public documents, op-eds, and press releases before distribution;
- Planning and executing the logistics of events on and off Capitol Hill by working directly with event attendees and venue vendors; and
- Staffing off-site events, including checking-in guests and liaising with Third Way staff and venue employees.
Within 1 month you will:
- Participate in Third Way’s comprehensive onboarding program. You’ll learn about all aspects of Business Operations, which includes benefits, IT, finance, and office operations.
- Meet your Third Way Buddy, be introduced to the entire staff, and start to learn the TW’s culture.
- Learn our current processes for payroll, compliance, and labor tracking, and how you will partner with Finance and the rest of the Business Operations team on these processes.
- Participate in weekly one-on-ones with your manager to ensure you fully understand the expectations of the job.
- Attend your departmental weekly meetings. You’ll learn about the key goals of your program, how they’re doing, what challenges they face, and how you will contribute.
- Share coffee with the COO and learn about the history and growth of Third Way.
Within s months you will:
- Gain an understanding of each employee’s role and their contribution to the organization.
- Attend program overview sessions to learn more about each team’s contribution to TW’s mission.
- Incorporate TW’s Style Guide and Production process into your work products.
- Participate in, at least, one of our internal Professional Development trainings or a Center for Fun activity.
- Learn and experience TW’s commitment to diversity, inclusion, and respect in the workplace.
- Begin playing an integral role in the daily operation of the Climate & Energy Program, and coordinate the senior leadership’s activities.
Within 3 months you will:
- Feel a sense of comfort and familiarity with the staff, your team, and your work.
- Continue to attend weekly departmental meetings with a stronger understanding of your team’s strategic goal.
- Bring new ideas and suggestions to your weekly one-on-ones with your manager.
- Attend and participate in external functions with other members of your team.
- Complete your 90-day self-evaluation and performance review with your manager.
- Partner with your manager to establish your long-term goals for the remainder of the year.
Experience and skills
This might be the job for you, if you:
- Have a Bachelor’s degree, experience handling administrative tasks, and at least a year of relevant work experience;
- Possess excellent communication, organizational, administrative skills, and research skills;
- Are able to work under short deadlines and deliver in a fast-paced environment;
- Are able to juggle multiple projects with competing priorities simultaneously; and
- Have impeccable attention to detail and proofreading skills
In the Third Way Culture, we are looking for:
- Self-starters : People who see and seize opportunities, take risks, learn from failure, and will bring a sustained passion for our mission.
- Collaborators : People who work in teams—sharing ideas, brainstorming, co-authoring products, and advancing its shared priorities.
- Creators : People who foster divergent thinking; that aren’t afraid to take on the orthodoxies of the left or the right. Team members come up with original insights, find unique ways to look at data, and challenge their preconceptions.
- Results-oriented : People who function with an organizational commitment to clear objectives, ambitious timelines, accountability for results, and a focus on impact.
- Respectful : People who embrace the diverse perspectives of everyone and fosters the values of diversity, equity, and inclusiveness at all times.
Other useful information
Third Way is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates, supports and promotes diversity, equity, and inclusion. We will consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation or gender identity, or any other legally protected basis, in accordance with applicable laws.