The R Street Institute—a free-market think tank headquartered in Washington, D.C., with regional offices across the country—seeks an energetic federal government affairs manager to spearhead R Street’s federal outreach on issues including technology, national security and cybersecurity policy, to name just a few.
If you are the right fit, you will report to the director of government affairs. If you want to join an energetic organization and do something extraordinary, this may be just the opportunity you need.
Key roles and responsibilities
Your typical day at R Street may include meeting with congressional staff to discuss a new R Street policy paper on digital privacy, writing a coalition letter to support autonomous vehicle legislation or working with the policy team to draft and submit a letter for the record at an upcoming hearing on prescription drug pricing. This role will serve the government affairs team and work across all R Street’s policy teams, with a particular focus on the technology and national security policy teams.
- Design and implement strategies to move R Street’s policy ideas forward on Capitol Hill, including finding and maintaining relationships with legislative offices and committees.
- Create and nurture coalitions with a diverse range of allied groups and find opportunities to engage with coalition partners.
- Draft op-eds, policy shorts and blog posts to advance R Street’s position on federal issues.
- Develop opportunities for R Street’s policy experts to speak and/or testify before government agencies and legislative bodies.
- Serve as a public face of R Street and represent the R Street brand at regular meetings, conferences and events.
Experience and skills
- At least three years’ experience working on Capitol Hill or in a position with an outside organization that involves regular ongoing work with Capitol Hill.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- A highly responsive, driven self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Proven ability to work effectively with individuals and groups who possess diverse viewpoints.
- Experience working on tech or cybersecurity policy issues is a plus, but we are happy to consider excellent candidates with a background in any policy area.
- No particular educational background is required; proven ability to achieve results is far more important than credentials.
- A passion for free markets and limited, effective government.
- A sense of humor and a desire to grow with a dynamic organization.
Other useful information
This is a full-time job based in Washington, D.C. R Street is growing rapidly but remains a close-knit team.
R Street strives to provide a compensation package superior to those at other think tanks and nonprofits. In addition to a competitive salary, we provide a health insurance option entirely paid by the employer (even for families); wellness benefits; an employer-subsidized mobile phones benefit; 401(k) contributions with up to a 4 percent match; and an exceptionally generous vacation policy.
R Street does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, era of military service, gender identity, relationship structure or anything else that’s illegal, immoral or stupid to use as a basis for hiring.
We currently plan to accept applications for this job until filled. We will contact ideal individuals for telephone interviews and conduct them on a rolling basis. We will hold in-person interviews in our D.C. office.
To apply, please upload a cover letter and resume in Microsoft Word or PDF format.