The R Street Institute—a free-market think tank headquartered in Washington, D.C., and with regional offices across the country—seeks an energetic fellow in Technology & Innovation Policy to work primarily in issue areas such as antitrust and telecommunications, as well as privacy, emerging technologies and online content moderation. The ideal candidate will have a strong understanding of legal and economic tradition, particularly the work surrounding the evolution and importance of the consumer welfare standard and regulatory agency processes.
This position reports to the director of the Technology & Innovation Policy program. If you want to join a hardworking organization and do something outstanding, this may be just the opportunity you need!
Your typical day at R Street may include researching and writing exceptional policy papers, op-eds and blog posts about significant topics related to privacy, antitrust and telecommunications; engaging directly with leaders on key policy issue areas; and interacting with a range of national and local media outlets to educate and provide context on the most impactful technology and innovation policy.
Key roles and responsibilities
Other Aspects of Your Role:
- Help conceive and oversee research projects that are high quality, highly credible and timely
- Adapt policy, engagement and communication strategy in a quick-changing legislative and regulatory landscape
- Work with government affairs and communications teams to identify and consistently engage with target audiences
- Write a mix of op-eds, regulatory comments, amicus briefs and policy papers to help solve difficult problems and translate complex ideas in technology policy
- Collaborate with internal and external scholars to move the policy conversation forward
- Keep up-to-date with the latest research in your subset of technology policy
- Attend and speak at events and convenings
Experience and skills
Skills and Qualifications:
- Exceptional analytical and communications skills with an ability to synthesize complex information quickly and explain complicated concepts clearly and concisely
- Superior interpersonal skills and a strong team orientation
- Strong writing skills
- Passion or free markets and limited, effective government
- Ability to serve effectively in a cross-functional role, working simultaneously with several different R Street organizational units
- Excellent attention to detail and an ability to manage effectively competing interests and priorities
- A sense of humor and a desire to grow with a dynamic organization
Other useful information
We offer a flexible working arrangement. This is a full-time position that can either work the majority of the week in our D.C. office or be fully remote.
Compensation, Benefits and Perks
R Street strives to provide a compensation package superior to those at other think tanks and nonprofits. In addition to a competitive salary, we provide the following:
- Unlimited paid time off policy, including all Federal holidays, the day after Thanksgiving, and two weeks holiday closure in December
- Alternating Fridays off
- A health insurance option entirely paid by the employer (even for families)
- Dental and Vision insurance
- 401(k) contributions with up to a 4 percent match
- HSA employer contribution match
- Quarterly wellness reimbursement
- Mobile equipment reimbursement
- Internet subsidy
- Monthly mobile plan reimbursement
- Annual educational and professional development reimbursement
- An option between a child care assistance, pet care assistance, or student loan repayment assistance reimbursement
- R Street does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, era of military service, gender identity, relationship structure or anything else that’s illegal, immoral or nonsensical to use as a basis for hiring.
We currently plan to accept applications for this job until filled. We will contact qualified individuals for telephone interviews and conduct them on a rolling basis. Interviews will be held virtually, via Zoom.
To apply, you must upload a cover letter and resume in Microsoft Word or PDF format.