The R Street Institute—a free-market think tank headquartered in Washington, D.C., with regional offices across the country—seeks a graphic designer to conceptualize, design, and produce visual products that translate complex policy concepts for a variety of audiences. Demonstrated experience with typography and the full suite of Adobe creative products required. If you want to join a collaborative and multifaceted organization working toward pragmatic, positive impact, this may be just the opportunity you need.
A typical day at R Street may include updating existing design templates, working closely with the Creative Director and our policy teams to maximize the impact of their scholarship, and helping the Director of Research Publications to develop and standardize new policy products. This role is nested within the Publications department, which is housed alongside R Street’s policy team; however, this is not a policy position and, as such, does not require a political or ideological affiliation representative of R Street’s policy positions.
Key roles and responsibility
- Design a wide-range of routine-to-complex projects such as: charts, graphs, diagrams, infographics, illustrations, publication layouts, reports, cover designs, palm cards and logos
- Create materials that enhance R Street’s brand and policy expertise
- Layout all published assets to ensure overall quality, proper placement, balance, grammar, accessibility and typography
- Collaborate with the communications team (Creative Director) about the style, brand identity and target audiences for designed products
- Update existing templates to match company brand and style
- In coordination with the Director of Research Publications, create and standardize new publication products
- Manage workflow to meet scheduled deadlines and rapid response needs
- Work on ad-hoc projects and tasks as assigned
Experience and skills
- At least 3-5 years of design experience, preferably within a publishing environment
- Strong communication skills—must be able to present concepts in a clear, convincing manner to a range of audiences
- Detail-oriented, flexible, and able to manage multiple projects with overlapping deadlines
- High proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Office
- A sense of humor and a desire to grow with a dynamic organization
- Experience with web design a plus, but not required
- A desire to work as part of a highly functional and productive team
- Profound love of cats specifically encouraged
Other useful information
We understand that people gain skills through a variety of professional, personal, educational and volunteer experiences. If you believe you have the transferable skills necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of this role, we encourage you to apply.
We offer a flexible working arrangement. This is a full-time position that can either work the majority of the week in our D.C. office or be fully remote.
Compensation, Benefits and Perks
R Street strives to provide a compensation package superior to those at other think tanks and nonprofits. In addition to a competitive salary, we provide the following:
- Unlimited paid time off policy, including all Federal holidays, the day after Thanksgiving, and two weeks holiday closure in December
- Alternating Fridays off
- A health insurance option entirely paid by the employer (even for families)
- Dental and Vision insurance
- 401(k) contributions with up to a 4 percent match
- HSA employer contribution match
- Quarterly wellness reimbursement
- Mobile equipment reimbursement
- Internet subsidy
- Monthly mobile plan reimbursement
- Annual educational and professional development reimbursement
- An option between a child care assistance, pet care assistance, or student loan repayment assistance reimbursement
- R Street does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, era of military service, gender identity, relationship structure or anything else that’s illegal, immoral or nonsensical to use as a basis for hiring.
We currently plan to accept applications for this job until filled. We will contact qualified individuals for telephone interviews and conduct them on a rolling basis. Interviews will be held virtually, via Zoom.
To apply, you must upload a cover letter, portfolio, and resume in Microsoft Word or PDF format.