The Centre for Progressive Policy is the leading UK think tank committed to reducing economic inequalities and driving shared prosperity. In the last year alone, we have delivered policy proposals to level up the country with a prominent group of MPs, demonstrated the importance of childcare for gender equality endorsed by a high-profile advisory board and produced a comprehensive cross-party statement with 12 prominent local leaders to secure a fair transition to net zero. We also host the brilliant Inclusive Growth Network (IGN), the first-ever network of local and combined authorities dedicated to delivering shared prosperity on the ground.
We are now looking for an outstanding Head of Press and Communications to strengthen and deepen our influence. This role will be central to our continued growth, as we seek to drive greater public awareness of our work and enhance the quality and accessibility of all our communications. As a senior member of the team, reporting to the team’s Co-Director, you will be adept at leading the press and communications strategy for reports, programmes of work and events and be confident in engaging with seasoned journalists. You will have a proven track record of being able to craft and place stories in media and have already established contacts relevant to CPP’s work. Alongside being responsible for securing greater press coverage, you will oversee all CPP communications and content giving you the opportunity to shape the organisation’s core vision and narrative.
You will be joining us at an exciting time. This year’s three big programmes of work – overcoming educational disadvantage, health systems to address poverty and big finance for inclusive growth – are amongst our most ambitious yet. We have recently been nominated for two think tank awards by Prospect – “economic and financial think tank of the year” and “one to watch”.
Key roles and responsibilities
Press and media
- Securing press coverage in national, regional and specialist media.
- Developing, building and managing relationships with key existing and target journalists.
- Developing and executing press and wider communications strategies for reports, publications and events.
- Positioning opinion pieces, articles and commentary in the national media.
- Managing CPP’s relationships with its external communications agency.
- Ensuring CPP’s communications are of the highest standard and performance including: press releases, digital content (e.g. podcasts & videos) social media, e-communications (e.g. newsletter bulletins) and all other digital and offline outputs.
- Finding the most impactful angles of CPP’s work from a press and comms perspective across all communication methods and leading on the writing of press releases.
- Contributing to the development of CPP’s tone of voice and key messaging.
- Providing communications advice across the external affairs function, including events, podcast development and stakeholder engagement.
- Line managing an Operations and Communications Manager.
Experience and skills
- Proven track record of being able to spot and place stories in the national media.
- Have strong relationships with a network of journalists relevant to the work of CPP.
- Experience in writing press releases that have resulted in national media coverage.
- Experience in writing and/or editing op-eds that have been successfully placed.
- Demonstrable ability to translate complex research findings and recommendations into
- Excellent writing and editing skills with the ability to shift styles and messaging for different
- Very organised with the ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strategically minded with the ability to devise communications strategies and plans months
in advance and to see how they fit with long term CPP objectives.
- Strong teamwork skills with a commitment to the CPP’s mission and values.
- Experience managing the delivery of integrated communications across several platforms
- Experience in performance reporting (analytics, SEO, etc)
- Line management experience