About MEF and the #jobsfortunisia project
Today, the root causes of the Tunisian revolution (Employment, socioeconomic fairness and prosperity) are still relevant, in fact regional differences and unemployment especially among the youth have worsened. Economic reforms are badly needed, however there is a huge vacuum. This think tank will play an instrumental role by contributing to unlocking Tunisia’s economic growth potential, and strengthening its democratic institutions in the public and private sectors and civil society. It aims to foster fair and sustainable economic and social development.
The MEF project #jobsfortunisia – Putting economy in the center of national dialogue to serve democracy will tackle this gap by putting – as its names suggest – economy in the center of a large public debate. The project is dedicated to the renewal of Tunisian socio-economical politics, prosperity, and dialog – in a Digital Age adapted manner. The success of this initiative will depend on attracting high profile candidates and building a team driven by a passion for Tunisia, aspiring for excellence and motivated by social responsibility to make a difference.
We are seeking to hire a Director of Research who will implement the organisation’s research strategy. The DoR should expect to be main author of most of MEF’s research outputs during the first year and he or she will have to take a hands-on approach. As the centre begins to deliver he or she should review the strategy to make the necessary corrections. The DoR must work closely with the Director of Communications and Policy Outreach to ensure that the right balance between rigour and clarity is met in the choice and use of tools and channels.
- Develop, within the context of the overall MEF strategy, medium-term and periodic (mainly annual) strategies for the Research and Monitoring Programme, including Business Plans if necessary;
- Provide professional leadership to the Programme in implementing the strategy, including some mentoring of research and non-research staff;
- Draft policy papers & briefs on current social and economic topics
- Oversee the planning and implementation of research and advisory activities.
- Carry out annual appraisals and probationary reviews of his/her staff;
- Participate in relevant public and private policy advice and public affairs events and meetings;
- Develop new concepts and ideas to extend intellectual understanding, and inform policy in Tunisia. Assess, interpret and evaluate the outcomes of research, and develop ideas for the application of research outcomes;
- Monitor the progress of individual and Programme work schedules in coordination with other members of the SMT;
- Contribute to internal quality control, including review of draft outputs and implementation of peer review procedures, when necessary;
- Coordinate the external representation of MEF, including at meetings with current or potential donors;
- Maximise the use of resources within MEF, including the use of Researchers, associates, contractors, and interns.
- Participate in communication and policy outreach activities as planned and coordinated with the Communication and Policy Outreach Specialist
Candidate Profile & Requirements
- A degree and post-graduate qualification in a relevant discipline
- Extensive knowledge of key Tunisian policy issues
- Sound and robust research methods skills.
- A strong personal record in a relevant field including publications
- Proven ability to fundraise and build programmes of work
- Demonstrated capacity for policy advisory and/or public affairs work, based on an analytical approach
- Ability to lead a research, policy advice and public affairs team, including encouraging good and managing poor performance.
- A passion for and dedication to civil society & Tunisia’s development
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate and manage key relationships
- Self-motivated, proactive & entrepreneurial spirit;
- Excellent project management skills
- Fluency in English, French, and Arabic.
Salary and terms
Salary is locally competitive (3,000 Dinars -negotiable) and you will be contributing to the formation of a new think tank in Tunisia.
Start Date: Immediate
Interested candidates should send their CV & cover letter to careers[email protected] with the title “DIRECTOR OF RESEARCH – MEF” in the subject line. The cover letter should state why you would like to join the MEF team.