The Cato Institute is a public policy research organization—a think tank—dedicated to the principles of individual liberty, limited government, free markets and peace. Its scholars and analysts conduct independent, nonpartisan research on a wide range of policy issues. Founded in 1977, Cato owes its name to Cato’s Letters, a series of essays published in 18th-century England that presented a vision of society free from excessive government power. Those essays inspired the architects of the American Revolution.
And the simple, timeless principles of that revolution — individual liberty, limited government, and free markets – turn out to be even more powerful in today’s world of global markets and unprecedented access to information than Jefferson or Madison could have imagined. Social and economic freedom is not just the best policy for a free people; it is the indispensable framework for the future. Cato Institute is an EOE.
The Cato Institute is seeking applications for a HR Manager position located in the Washington, DC office. The position provides managerial support for HR department. The ideal candidate is organized, friendly, eager to help others, professional and punctual. This position reports to the Director of Human Resources and has one direct report.
Key roles and responsibilities
- Define, document, and provide oversight and management of the recruitment, new employee onboarding, and separation processes.
- Responsible for all aspects of on-boarding/off-boarding administration, including collection of employee paperwork and conducting new-employee orientations.
- Designed and implemented on-boarding and off-boarding surveys.
- On-board and off-board 3 intern classes a year of over 30 students.
- Perform benefits administration, including medical, dental, vision, life, 401K, short- and long-term disability, and PTO – Point of Contact for employee benefits brokers.
- Respond to employee benefits inquiries via phone, email, mail, and/or fax.
- Manage benefits enrollment and changes, partner with payroll department and vendors to ensure accurate billing and employee contributions.
- Conduct benefits orientation for new hires, provide appropriate benefits packages.
- Approve payment of and reconcile invoices for all company sponsored benefits plans.
- Work with COBRA administrator and ensure appropriate correspondence is sent to terminated employees.
- Curating and maintaining employee benefits brochure.
Time and Attendance
- Manage time and attendance through company HRIS system Training.
- Experience with training programs including telework, ethics, benefits, sexual harassment, and any other key employee-related topics.
- Drive adoption and use of HR online self-service tools.
- Recommend, evaluate, and coordinate staff development opportunities for staff Employee Relations.
- Manage employee relations and personnel issues, and consult with legal counsel as appropriate.
- Counsel employees concerning human resources policies and procedures; review and resolve issues.
- Aid in annual employee performance evaluations.
- Complete all employment verifications.
- Record documents and resolve employee complaints or disputes.
- Implement and manage Performance Improvement Plans Compliance.
- Maintain compliance with federal, state and local employment and benefits laws and regulations.
- Ensure compliance and on time reporting in accordance with IRS, DOL, and other government regulators.
- Manage time off programs including FMLA and Workers Compensation program, coordinate ADA accommodation requests as needed.
- Create and disseminate census and reports – Work with brokers to file 5500s, 1095c – File EEO1.
Experience and skills
- Must have at least 5+ years’ experience working in Human Resources field.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher.
- Must have strong organizational, project management and communication skills.
- Must have the ability to maintain a high level of accuracy, confidentiality.
- Proficient in Word, excel and Share point applications.
- Must be deadline driven, detail oriented and able to work well on a team.
- Must possess the ability to work under pressure on multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Strong customer service mentality with a proactive and positive “can-do” attitude.