The International Science Council (ISC) works at the global level to catalyse and convene scientific expertise, advice and influence on issues of major concern to both science and society. The ISC is a non-governmental organization with a unique global membership that brings together 40 international scientific Unions and Associations and over 140 national and regional scientific organizations, including Academies and Research Councils.
The ISC’s vision is of science as a global public good. Its mission is to be the global voice for science; a trusted voice that speaks for the value of all science by:
- promoting international research and scholarship on key global challenges
- increasing evidence-informed understanding and decision making at all levels of public policy, discourse and action
- promoting the continued and equal advancement of scientific rigour, creativity and relevance in all parts of the world
- protecting scientific freedom and advocating principles for the responsible practice of science.
The International Science Council (ISC) is seeking a Junior Digital Communications Officer to join its team in Paris, France, on a permanent contract and starting as soon as possible.
Key roles and responsibilities
Reporting to the Science Director, you will have responsibility for developing digital communications products for the Council, with a focus on planning and managing content for the ISC’s website and social media channels. You will create engaging campaigns to serve the ISC’s strategy and activities, and will manage the Council’s profile on social media. This will include day-to-day maintenance of the Council’s Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and Instagram accounts and providing support on email marketing. You will need to use digital analytics to measure and report on the performance of social and other online content, and to devise strategies to improve the ISC’s online engagement and web traffic.
You’ll keep up-to-date with the latest trends in social media, and be able to inspire and support colleagues to develop their own social media profiles.
You will work alongside colleagues (24 staff in 2019) to support a wide range of ISC activities and events, and interact with project teams across the broader networks of ISC Members, stakeholders and partners.
This is an exciting opportunity to join an organization launched in 2018, following the merger of two prestigious membership bodies representing the natural and the social sciences – the International Council for Science (ICSU) and the International Social Science Council (ISSC).
Experience and skills
Qualifications and knowledge
- Bachelor’s degree or higher and a keen interest in issues around the intersection between policy, science and society
- At least 2 years’ experience in a digital communications and content creation role
- Excellent track record managing multiple social channels and ability to follow trends in a fast-changing space
- Web management experience including familiarity with CMS software, especially WordPress
- Experience in creating infographics and data visualization would be highly beneficial
- Excellent knowledge of English; knowledge of French and other languages would be an advantage
- Knowledge of Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign software and HTML/CSS would be an added advantage; as well as skills in video and photography, including sourcing and selection of images for online media and publications
- Excellent writing and storytelling skills in English and the ability to produce engaging written and visual content for different audiences
- Being curious and open-minded so as to be able to keep abreast of trends in science communications and to advise on digital issues
- Capacity to work productively and cooperatively and to contribute across different teams
- Social skills and ability to work in an international and multicultural context
- Flexible, “can-do” attitude and able to adapt to a constantly changing workflow
- Presentation skills
- Project management skills desirable
- Experience living or working internationally is a plus