The Institute for Energy Economics and Financial Analysis (IEEFA) examines issues related to energy markets, trends and policies. The Institute’s mission is to accelerate the transition to a diverse, sustainable and profitable energy economy. IEEFA’s reports, commentaries and press coverage can be found on our website.
The Institute for Energy Economics and Financial Analysis is seeking a media-savvy communications professional to fill the position of Media Relations Manager.
Key roles and responsibilities
As the media relations manager, you will have an opportunity to build relationships with leading influencers in the energy and finance worlds and help us accelerate the energy transition in the U.S. and globally. You are an accomplished professional with demonstrated success in pitching and placing media coverage for nonprofits, research or policy organizations. You will be a central member of IEEFA’s communications team to promote our visibility and reputation among influential mainstream, trade, and environmental media across channels.
The manager will be responsible for expanding media coverage as well as developing and implementing an effective media strategy. You will also manage daily press queries and connect reporters with IEEFA experts and provide background.
Experience and skills
- 4+ years of managing media relations for a nonprofit institution or organization.
- Experience cultivating and engaging reporters, editors, and bookers.
- Skilled at drafting press materials including releases, alerts, explainers and backgrounders.
- Success in eliciting coverage, placing op-eds, and securing speaking opportunities.
- Ability to update, expand and segment IEEFA’s media contacts.
- Capacity to gather regular analytics and improve the impact of outreach efforts.
- Superlative oral and written communication skills with a knack for streamlining cohesive narratives.
- Experience developing key messages and reporter outreach via social media.
- Ability to work collaboratively with advocacy and nonprofit communications teams.
- Intellectual curiosity and genuine interest in the energy transition and related environmental, climate, and social issues.
- Fluent in Microsoft Office suite, familiarity with Adobe a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree required; major in communications, journalism, economics, or related discipline helpful.
Additional useful information
Salary: USD45,000-USD60,000. Salary commensurate with experience. Benefits: A competitive benefits package including health, dental and vision insurance, vacation leave (20 days per year), sick and safe leave (10 days per year), 12 paid holidays per year, 401(k) Safe Harbor Plan after 6 months employment.
To Apply: Interested candidates should submit a resume and two writing samples by Monday, March 5, 2021 to: [email protected] with “Media Relations Manager” in the subject line. Short-listed candidates will be asked to take a short writing test.