Celebrating its centennial anniversary in 2022, the Chicago Council on Global Affairs is where your world and the world meet. The Council is a nonpartisan, non-profit organization that empowers more people to help shape our global future. We foster dialogue on the world’s most critical issues through content and engagement experiences that offer diverse, fact-based perspectives and in-depth analysis. We are committed to building an inclusive community of globally conscious people who want to actively participate in global affairs and gain the knowledge to help them make a tangible impact – big or small – in the world.
The ideal candidate will comfortably synthesize complex issues with stories that resonate with diverse audiences. They are energized by crafting original ideas and concepts, deploying their storytelling skills to create compelling copy and treatments. Optimizing reach, engagement, and audience loyalty is a top priority, and knowledge of Search Engine Optimization (SEO), tagging, and linking is an essential skill.
This collaborative, hands-on team is looking for an experienced editor who likes to roll up their sleeves and build narrative and consistency across multiple projects. The Editor position is a hybrid role and requires in-person attendance based on work activities and peak seasons at our Downtown Chicago location.
The position reports directly to the Chief Content Officer.
Key roles and responsibilities
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Edit the Content team’s web, newsletter, and social text for grammar, style, accuracy, and accessibility.
- Identify and elevate the content team’s best practices for writing and editing.
- Write compelling and conversational headlines optimized to amplify our content’s reach on all web and social platforms.
- Deploy photos, videos, social media, graphics, and links to drive engagement; platforms could include YouTube, Drupal, or other social media sites.
- Use data and analytics to help guide editorial and audience development and promote understanding and fluency in these skills across the team.
- Take a forward-thinking approach to test new content and engagement approaches to building a diverse audience.
- Participate collaboratively with the Content team’s diversity, equity, and inclusion strategies.
- Work with marketing, design, and product teams to optimize reach, loyalty, and engagement.
- Foster cross-team collaborations to support the Council’s digital transformation objectives and goals.
- Other duties as assigned.
Experience and skills
- Bachelor’s degree or higher.
- Preferably a minimum of 5-7 years of experience editing and working with web, newsletter and social text in a newsroom environment.
- Strong journalistic instincts and skills, with a proven track record in multi-platform storytelling skills and creating new products for audience growth.
- Proficient in digital publishing and CMS, keen to adopt and develop the best innovations in this field. Drupal experience preferred.
- Familiarity with interpreting web analytics and common platforms (e.g., Google Analytics, Sprout Social, etc.) to adapt and improve audience engagement.
- Collaborative, with proactive and inclusive interpersonal and communication skills.
- Results-driven, prioritizing best and timely results, considering deadlines, staffing, budgets, and resource requirements.
Apply by 30 September.