Third Way is a national think tank that champions modern center-left ideas.
Our work is grounded in the mainstream American values of opportunity, freedom, and security. But we identify as center-left, because we see that space in U.S. politics as offering the only real path for advancing those ideals in the century ahead.
Our agenda is ambitious, aspirational, and actionable. It is built on the bedrock belief that for political movements to succeed in our political system, they must relentlessly re-imagine their policies, strategies, and coalitions.
We are fighting for opportunity, so everyone has the chance to earn a good life; progress on social issues, so all have the freedom to live the lives they choose; and security, so we are protected from 21st century global threats.
The Office Operations Manager provides operational support to the organization by working with external vendors, managing logistics for the office, owning our office health & safety protocols, and overseeing and managing general content/information shared via the organization’s intranet. Responsibilities include tracking expenditures, preparing reports, reconciling accounts, processing invoices, and streamlining procedures where possible.
Key roles and responsibilities
As the Office Operations Manager, some of your duties may include…
- Manage office operations, lead overall office administration, and ensure the operational readiness, appearance and presentation of the office
- Observe and seek improvement to existing office organization
- Oversee the enforcement of in-office health and safety protocols, providing the necessary information, resources, and supplies to maintain a safe and comfortable work environment
- Engage in growing and changing office policies and procedures, optimizing staff experience and efficiency
- Manage various vendor relationships that relate to office and facility management
- Maintain the pantry and office supply inventory and budget, ensuring adequate stock of all items
- Manage general CenterStage content to maintain the accuracy and relevance of information, tools, and instructional material
- Conduct research to understand intranet user needs and recommend enhancements accordingly
- Drive staff adoption of CenterStage through targeted and strategic effort
- Plan and execute an ongoing cycle of staff engagement opportunities to obtain direct staff feedback on life at Third Way
- Manage and oversee Third Way’s Center for Fun, a small group of staff focused on planning social activities for the organization
- Recommend enhancements to staff offerings or existing processes based on findings from staff engagement activities
- Create and maintain a persistent platform for soliciting anonymous staff feedback, requests and suggestions
**Please note all duties and events will be completed virtually until Third Way has established a return-to-work plan, at which point this position will be located in Washington, D.C.
Experience and skills
This might be the job for you, if you enjoy…
- Working collaborative with others.
- Solving challenging problems that affect Third Way’s mission and culture.
- Analyzing data and feedback to help improve the way of life at Third Way.
- Asking the tough questions that addresses the issues that have not shown up yet and that are persisting.
This might be the job for you, if you…
- want to be a part of something great and impactful.
- pay attention to details, take pride in and ownership of your work.
- think on your feet and adapt to changes effortlessly.
- communicate clearly in writing and speak eloquently.
- are motivated and driven by your passion to make a positive impact, which drives your proactive nature.
- have excellent customer service.
- want to make a difference and an imprint as the newest Office Operations Manager of Third Way
Other useful information
In the Third Way Culture, we are looking for…
–Self-starters: People who see and seize opportunities, take risks, learn from failure, and will bring a sustained passion for our mission.
–Collaborators: People who work in teams—sharing ideas, brainstorming, co-authoring products, and advancing its shared priorities.
–Creators: People who fosters divergent thinking; that aren’t afraid to take on the orthodoxies of the left or the right. Team members come up with original insights, find unique ways to look at data, and challenge their preconceptions.
–Results-oriented: People who function with an organizational commitment to clear objectives, ambitious timelines, accountability for results, and a focus on impact.
–Respectful: People who embrace the diverse perspectives of everyone and fosters the values of diversity, equity, and inclusiveness at all times.
WITHIN 1 MONTH, YOU’LL…
–Visit our newly renovated and expanded office space
–Participate in Third Way’s comprehensive onboarding program. You’ll learn about all aspects of Business Operations, which includes benefits, IT, finance, and office operations.
–Meet your Third Way Buddy, be introduced to the staff, and start to learn the TW’s culture.
–Learn our current processes for payroll, compliance, and labor tracking, and how you will partner with Finance and the rest of the Business Operations team on these processes.
–Participate in weekly one-on-ones with your manager to ensure you fully understand the expectations of the job.
–Attend your departmental weekly meetings. You’ll learn about the key goals of your program, how they’re doing, what challenges they face, and how you will contribute.
–Share coffee with the COO and learn about the history and growth of Third Way.
WITHIN 2 MONTHS, YOU’LL…
–Begin to build an in-office strategy to ensure the health and safety of all employees
–Gain an understanding of each employee’s role and their contribution to the organization.
–Attend program overview sessions to learn more about each team’s contribution to TW’s mission.
–Sit in on a riveting story about Third Way’s history with one of the original founders of Third Way. You will learn about our successes, as well as our failures. This will also afore you the opportunity to learn about future direction.
–Incorporate TW’s Style Guide and Production process into your work products and processes.
–Participate in, at least, one of our internal Professional Development trainings or a Center for Fun activity.
–Learn and experience TW’s commitment to diversity, inclusion, and respect in the workplace.
WITHIN 3 MONTHS, YOU’LL…
–Enhance an existing Business Operations process and introduce the new workflow to the organization
–Feel a sense of comfort and familiarity with the staff, your team, and your work.
–Continue to attend weekly departmental meetings with a stronger understanding of your team’s strategic goal.
–Bring new ideas and suggestions to your weekly one-on-ones with your manager.
–Complete your 90-day self-evaluation and performance review with your manager.
Third Way is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates, supports, and promotes diversity, equity, and inclusion. We will consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation or gender identity, or any other legally protected basis, in accordance with applicable laws.