The Accountability Lab is an award-winning nonprofit that is building a movement of active citizens and responsible leaders around the world. As the Director of Business Strategy & Operations, you will be responsible for driving energetic change both at a strategic level and delivering on daily operational needs for an organization, which is going through an exciting period of growth.
You will work with the Founder and a seasoned team around the globe to implement the Lab’s new 2017-2020 strategy and operationalize our support for youth change-makers to develop ideas for integrity in their communities. Working out of the Lab’s headquarters at the OpenGov Hub in Washington, DC, you will balance this long-term thinking with pragmatic problem-solving and prioritization to seamlessly guide the organization’s operations.
Key areas of responsibility include:
- Internal systems and controls (address tax and legal compliance, review risk management, enhance internal communications, and implement policies and operational plans)
- Talent management and development (lead recruiting, enforce HR processes and policies, manage fellows, and liaise with external contractors and vendors)
- Resource generation (track and analyze fundraising progress, partnerships, coordinate with country teams on grant reporting, and perform outreach)
- Financial management (develop budgets, manage costs, process payments, manage annual audit, and report to Board of Directors)
Knowledge of strategy, marketing and other operational components will be helpful as you tackle the opportunities we have in front of us. In this role you will be exposed to the full spectrum of the Lab’s business and the impact we have across many communities around the globe. You will report to the Lab’s Executive Director, work closely with our Board of Directors, and help manage our global team.
More about You
You have a passion for strengthening government accountability and getting to the root of international development challenges.
You have experience rolling up your sleeves and executing on deliverables with precision. You approach complex problems with flexibility, resourcefulness, and a positive attitude. You have a history of staring challenges in the face and driving teams toward timely, impactful solutions.
You thrive in fast-paced environment where you can work independently, play a leadership role in many aspects of the organization, and interact with a variety of stakeholders. You are an extremely well-organized individual, with attention to detail in your writing and the ability to prioritize effectively and you are excited about shaping the organization’s path significantly as it grows and evolves.
You see yourself as a sponge and jump at the opportunity to learn from and with your teammates. You’re energized by the start-up work environment and are excited to be surrounded by the diverse perspectives of our global team. You are able and willing to travel as needed to parts of Africa and South Asia.
More about the Team
While our organization is headquartered in Washington, DC, our team is spread across the globe. We have local offices in Kathmandu, Islamabad, Monrovia, and Bamako, and we run online campaigns with participants from all across the globe.
We are all tied to a common goal of enabling people to use information and knowledge to hold those in power accountable and creating lasting social change.
We embody our values of integrity, innovation, humility, practicality, and collaboration in all that we do. We strive to reinvent the way that development organizations operate through radical transparency, creative awareness campaigns, cross-sector collaboration, and a culture of continual learning.
We seek to invest in our people as much as we possibly can- with an emphasis on personal growth, learning and collaboration. The Lab has just celebrated its 5th anniversary.
- Experience in non-profit management and operations, including developing and implementing internal processes and procedures
- Familiarity with fundraising and grant management
- Expertise in budget management and financial reporting
- Skilled at using tools such as Salesforce, WordPress, Mailchimp and Quickbooks or Netsuite
- Experience in Sub-Saharan Africa and/or South Asia with relevant language skills (Urdu, Nepali, French)
- Networks in international development, open government, and/or donor communities
- Graduate degree, such as an MA in International Relations, MPA, or MBA
Compensation: We are committed to paying a competitive rate commensurate with skills and experience. In addition, this position will come with opportunities to travel to our international offices, access to incredible networks across the international development and social entrepreneurship communities, and a fun work environment at the OpenGov Hub with over 40 other organizations working on these issues, and with everything from a treadmill desk to a ping pong table.
Application Instructions: If interested, fill out this online application form:
https://form.jotform.us/71215628584157. Qualified candidates will be interviewed on a rolling basis. The position will begin in early July.