CGD Europe, an independent, non-partisan research organisation that works to reduce global poverty and improve lives through innovative economic research that drives better policy and practice by the world’s top decision makers.
The purpose of the role is to undertake a broad range of high-quality, policy-relevant research with the aim of identifying opportunities and practical proposals for European governments and the European Union Institutions to enhance their effectiveness and impact as global development actors.
Key roles and responsibilities
- Conduct background research and co-author working papers, under the direction of a Senior Policy Fellow.
- Track relevant policy development in the EU and the Member States to identify opportunities for influence.
- Identify areas for potential analysis with the aim of improving European development policy and finance.
- Conduct desk-based primary research under the guidance of the Co-directors.
- Write blogs, policy briefs for European policymakers.
- Manage research partners, reviewing and providing quality assurance on their work.
- Perform literature and data searches as needed.
- Track policy developments in relevant areas.
- Organize events, including setting agendas and preparing papers.
- Develop relevant partnerships to amplify the work of the European Programme.
- Draft and edit communications and reports to funders and others.
- Perform other duties as necessary in support of senior research staff.
Experience and skills
- A Bachelor’s degree (preferably a Master’s degree) in economics, development, political science or a related field; or equivalent.
- Experience in political, economic, or public policy analysis related to international development;
- Good knowledge of European development policy and European development finance, and ideally experience of working with the EU institutions or European governments;
- Excellent written and spoken English; proficiency in another European language is desirable.
- Good organisation skills and attention to detail.
- Proven ability to advance research projects with hands-off supervision while being accountable for the accuracy of outputs.
- Ability to communicate effectively with senior officials and decision-makers.
- Confidence, flexibility, can-do attitude, and intellectual curiosity in a demanding and fast-paced environment.