About the agency
Soapbox is a London-based creative communications agency that helps think tanks, academic institutions and research-oriented NGOs to present their ideas – in words and images, in print and online.
We are dedicated to exploring new ways of communicating policy and research content through print publications, infographics, online data tools, dynamic data visualisation, and digital publications readers. As audiences become increasingly bombarded by data and ideas, we are working with our clients to create innovative new products, working at the forefront of both creative print design and web development.
We work with around 100 clients including NatCen Social Research, the King’s Fund, New Economics Foundation, Centre for Cities, JRF, the Overseas Development Institute (ODI), IPPR and NIESR. Our growing team includes skilled designers, user experience and branding experts, writers, editors and web developers with an impressively wide range of experience between them.
The person appointed to this role will help us engage with our clients – especially policy and research organisations – as we deliver creative communications for them. They will also help us market Soapbox to potential new clients.
We are looking for a creative, intelligent and hard-working individual with policy, research or communications experience who can help us develop new client relationships, create innovative new outputs, build on our excellent reputation with the sectors in which we work and increase our profile amongst potential new clients as we grow.
The successful applicant will have a proven ability to work efficiently on complex projects, will have good writing skills, will be able to work to deadline and will have good personal networking skills. He or she should be able to deal in an organised fashion with high levels of routine work and think creatively about new challenges posed by clients. Marketing experience is highly desirable but not a requirement.
This role will work alongside our current policy communications adviser and report directly to a Soapbox Partner.
The Policy Communications Adviser’s duties will include:
- In response to clients’ needs and design briefs, writing detailed proposals that showcase the high quality of Soapbox work.
- While writing proposals, engaging with clients to ensure their needs are met and that Soapbox is proposing the most appropriate and innovative solutions to their problems.
- Helping to run complex formal tender processes for larger projects, often with big or international clients.
- In collaboration with other staff, including partners, contributing to presentations and pitch meetings.
- Working with our head of operations, head of studio and digital project manager to turn successful proposals and tender documents into project plans.
- Ensuring the handover between new business and the web and digital teams is as smooth and orderly as possible.
- Acting as a project management resource to these teams where necessary after projects have begun.
- Working with our designers and developers to come up with creative solutions for our clients.
Engagement and marketing
- Acting as an engaging public representative of Soapbox with new and potential clients and with the wider sectors in which we work.
- Helping roll out Soapbox’s marketing plan, by contacting potential clients and developing materials in print and online.
- Following up new business leads with potential clients, meeting with them and developing future work.
- Proactively networking within our sector by going to think tank seminars and other events.
- Helping manage Soapbox’s online and social media presence, including updating the website, writing Soapbox newsletters, tweeting and blogging.
- Demonstrable interest in the communication of policy and research content to a wide audience.
- First class communication skills (both verbal and written).
- Excellent organisational skills and attention to detail, with a proven track record of successful teamworking.
- Excellent networking skills, with the ability to represent the organisation professionally.
- A good, working knowledge of policymaking, research and communications, with experience working with think tanks, policymakers and researchers or in a similar sector.
- The ability to present complex ideas in a simple, accessible way, both in writing and face-to-face in meetings and presentations.
- A strong interest in current affairs.
- Meticulous attention to detail, ensuring that all points in a brief are answered and that clients’ needs are fully met.
- Education to graduate level (or equivalent).
Desired but not a requirement
- Marketing experience.
- Project management experience.
- A good, non-technical knowledge of the latest digital and design trends.
- A proven record of delivering excellent customer care, including working effectively with customers who have little technical knowledge of web development or design.
- Working knowledge of Adobe products including InDesign and Photoshop.
- Web development experience.
- Strategic communications experience.
- Editorial experience.
- Experience of working with data visualisation or infographics.
How to apply
Please email us your CV with an application letter setting out how you meet the points listed above. Soapbox is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
All applications should be sent to [email protected]