The Urban Institute is the trusted source for unbiased, authoritative insights that inform consequential choices about the well-being of people and places in the United States. We are a nonprofit research organization that believes decisions shaped by facts, rather than ideology, have the power to improve public policy and practice, strengthen communities, and transform people’s lives for the better.
Our experts diagnose current challenges and look ahead to identify opportunities for change. And we don’t stop there. We use our research findings to help stakeholders craft relevant solutions and strategies that address today’s concerns and avert tomorrow’s roadblocks. And we share our insights in real time with influencers eager to make smarter decisions.
The Executive Office is seeking a dynamic and highly motivated individual to work as a Policy Program Manager in support of the Senior Vice President. The Policy Program Manager will oversee the day-to-day operations and management of the set of programmatic areas under the management of the Senior Vice President.
This individual will aid the Senior Vice President in all aspects of her work, shifting between strategic decision-making and management of the Urban Institute, collaboration with Urban’s research centers and operational units, and the development of new bodies of research and policy work on topics that span advancing racial equity, mental health policy, closing opportunity gaps for women and girls (especially women and girls of color), leadership for health, and democracy, governance and power. This individual will also work closely with the Chief of Staff, President, and research and policy leaders from across Urban centers, as well as our Development and Communications teams.
Key roles and responsibilities
- Lead project teams to execute external policy-related projects and internal management-related efforts as they arise, collaborating with colleagues across Urban to deliver on priority outcomes.
- Jump in to support new opportunities, address unexpected challenges, and respond to time-sensitive priorities.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of equitable and effective management practices, including resource management.
- Conceptualize new opportunities for business development and support the design and development of new bodies of work with the Senior Vice President and research teams
- Ensure the Senior Vice President’s is effectively connected to Institute priorities and responsive to the needs of research centers and operational units.
- Write talking points, strategy briefs, blog posts, social media, and other management and policy-related documents to communicate with internal and external audiences
- Manage relationships, within Urban and externally with key partners, including funders
- Plan meetings and coordinating events for internal and external audiences, including supporting the execution of an external event series
Experience and skills
We are seeking a candidate with a strong background in urban policy and management who thrives in a dynamic, fast-paced work environment and can bring diverse stakeholders together to develop and execute on shared goals.
The successful applicant will have:
- A master’s degree in a topic such as Public Policy, Public Administration, Business, or Law or the combination of the substantive policy knowledge, analytical and writing skills needed to perform the duties described above as well as the substantive knowledge that is generally associated with a Master’s degree.
- A minimum of seven years of relevant professional experience or equivalent
- Ability to understand and translate complex research and policy content for multiple audiences.
- Experience leading teams and managing staff to achieve outcomes
- Demonstrated project management and organizational skills, with the ability to develop and manage detailed workplans and project budgets
- Established comfort adapting to rapidly shifting goals and priorities, a commitment to continuous improvement, and the ability to take the initiative and work creatively
- Strong interpersonal skills with experience managing cross-organization collaborative projects and working in team environments
- Demonstrate commitment to and experience with principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion at the institutional and interpersonal levels.
- Outstanding writing and oral communications skills with an ability to effectively communicate to diverse internal and external audiences
- The ability to use good judgment to prioritize tasks while responding to quick turn-around requests under tight deadlines
- Experience with planning and helping to execute effective meetings
Please note all applications must include a cover letter to be considered.