Third Way is a national think tank that champions modern center-left ideas.
Third Way is seeking a Press Secretary\Advisor to elevate and expand the reach of Third Way’s Climate and Energy research, products, experts, and voice in national and key state outlets.
This person will conduct initial outreach to—and maintain Third Way relationships with—reporters, columnists, and editorial boards at leading publications. The aim is to maximize the impact of key Third Way Climate and Energy products and experts in the media. The Press Secretary\Advisor reports to the Deputy Director for Communications, Climate and Energy. Knowledge of policy and politics are important, but determination and enthusiasm to secure media coverage is a must.
We are looking for a motivated self-starter who is an avid consumer of political news and either has a background working in a press role or is interested in gaining experience.
Key roles and responsibilities
As the Press Secretary\Advisor, a typical day might include…
- Seeking and managing relevant opportunities and relationships with trade and mainstream local, state, and national press outlets.
- Actively seeking new opportunities to expand reach and impact. – Designing press outreach strategies to build and maintain relationships with key media outlets.
- Monitoring conversations around climate and energy involving key validators, columnists, and reporters for opportunities to advance CEP messaging and priorities.
- Preparing regular press releases, talking points, memos, and opinion editorials.
- Serving as a spokesperson for the Climate and Energy team’s policy and communications priorities in print/online media.
- Maintaining and updating comprehensive press lists, managing media inquiries, and tracking interactions and hits.
- Following relevant climate and clean energy news.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
Experience and skills
This might be the job for you, if you…
- Have a Bachelor’s degree and 2-4 years of related experience.
- Interest in communications work and a passion for working in national politics.
- Identify relevant opportunities for outreach and develop smart pitches and tailored press materials to shape the media conversation.
- Can conceive of and create memorable and unique pitches to communicate our ideas to reporters and others outside the organization.
- Have a capacity for relationship building and exercising diplomacy and professionalism when communicating with press, external stakeholders, and staff.
- Want to contribute towards Third Way’s mission.
- Are curious and eager for professional development.
- Think on your feet and adapt to changes effortlessly.
- Communicate clearly and effectively in writing and verbally.