The R Street Institute—a free-market think tank headquartered in Washington, D.C., with regional offices across the country—seeks a self-directed, organized program manager to help us create systems for handling our projects. If you become part of our organization, you will report to the associate vice president of research programs. If you want to join an energetic, collaborative and multifaceted organization, and do something extraordinary, this may be just the opportunity you need.
Your typical day at R Street may include improving the estimation of time invested across the organization for crafting a white paper, reviewing committed project deliverables on a highly restricted grant, monitoring the progress and resource allocation to date on a particular project, and mentoring and guiding your colleagues on the best practices of project management. This role will work closely with all of our Policy teams, as well as with Finance and Business Development.
Key roles and responsibilities
Other Aspects of Your Role
- Develop and maintain program management frameworks across research programs
- Develop and maintain deliverable tracking and reporting systems
- Work with Finance and Business Development to develop internal financial reports by grant and contract (such as fund utilization, budgeted vs. actual) and highlight critical deviations, if any, for resolution
- Work with all policy teams to create accurate time reporting
- In the policy strategy development process, create a way to ensure all policy goals are captured, tracked and reported in compliance with accounting needs and grant requirements
- Ensure excellent communication between policy team management and executive leadership during the creation, implementation and monitoring of project systems
- Foresee conflicts, assess risks, forecast resource needs and flag problems for policy heads and managers
- Derive insights from financial analysis to enable performance review of programs in order to facilitate strategic/operational decisions; monitor spending against grants and awards on a monthly basis
- Work with the Business Development, Finance and Policy teams to develop financial budgets for proposals to funders and ensure application of sound cost recovery methodologies
Experience and skills
- Ample, demonstrated experience in planning/managing complex projects and creating and implementing systems across teams with diverse needs
- Effective communicator of both big picture and individual elements for a variety of internal audiences
- Ability to be flexible, learn quickly, and mentor and persuade colleagues toward results
- Desire to take on complex, challenging problems and stamina to see them through to resolution
- Passion for free markets and limited, effective government
- A sense of humor and a desire to grow with a dynamic organization
Other useful information
R Street offers a flexible working arrangement. This is a full-time position that can either work the majority of the week in our D.C. office or be fully remote.
R Street strives to provide a compensation package superior to those at other think tanks and nonprofits. In addition to a competitive salary, we provide a health insurance option entirely paid by the employer (even for families), wellness benefits, an employer-subsidized mobile phones benefit, 401(k) contributions with up to a 4 percent match and an exceptionally generous vacation policy.
R Street does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, era of military service, gender identity, relationship structure or anything else that’s illegal, immoral or nonsensical to use as a basis for hiring.
We will accept applications until the position is filled. We will contact selected candidates for telephone interviews and finalists will take part in virtual interviews.
To apply, please upload a cover letter and resume in Microsoft Word or PDF format.