The African Institute for Development Policy (AFIDEP) is an African-led, non-profit research and policy institute established in 2010 to help bridge the gaps between research, policy and practice in development efforts in Africa. We contribute to the realisation of the SDGs by enabling the formulation of sound development policies and programme interventions. We work to promote and entrench a culture of evidence use in development efforts in Africa.
AFIDEP seeks to recruit a qualified and experienced Project Manager for a new Governance Project that will produce, analyze, and disseminate high quality research on transparency, accountability, governance and human development issues. The Project Manager will play a key role in managing and improving the project’s research, quality control, and dissemination processes.
Key roles and responsibilities
The Project Manager, based in Nairobi-Kenya, will lead the design and implementation of a governance research project that will collect and disseminate evidence on key governance and accountability indicators in African countries annually. The Manager will be responsible for the following:
- Recruit and virtually manage teams of in-country contributors and respondents.
- Perform detailed, high-intensity quality control over the resultant data points (in the thousands), including fact checking and editing.
- Provide capacity building, training, and detailed feedback and guidance to researchers and contributors.
- Lead the compilation and analysis of multiple country data, and provide final country scorecards for publishing and dissemination.
- Oversee the research dissemination and engagement with key stakeholders to promote the use of the research in improving governance and accountability in African countries.
- Coordinate all logistical tasks associated with the research project (including contracts management, payments management, and deadline management).
- Manage relationships with project contacts and partners.
Experience and skills
Masters’ degree in political science, public policy, development studies, international relations or other development-oriented field with at least five years practical experience in governance research and programming, and project management. A PhD would be an added advantage. The following factors will strengthen an applicant’s candidacy:
- Demonstrated command of transparency, accountability, governance and development issues in Africa at the regional, national, sub-national, and/or sector levels is required.
- Excellent written and spoken English is required; working knowledge of French is desirable. Bilingual candidates will have an added advantage.
- Resourcefulness performing online research and disposition to provide guidance toothers.
- Experience in project management, including tracking contracts, payments, deadlines, workflow design, and virtual management of large teams of researchers.
- Excellent writing and editing skills, preferably with experience in both short and long form (from blog posts to position papers).
- Exceptional attention to detail, ability to perform on tight deadlines, and proven ability to communicate clear and concise instructions.
- Proven ability to set priorities, manage time effectively, handle multiple on-going tasks.
- An ardent planner, with a strong sense of urgency and commitment to quality and timelines.
- Hands-on data management and analysis skills using Excel and other digital tools, and will also have a wealth of experience in project management, including managing large multi-country projects.
- A commitment to AFIDEP’s vision and mission.