The African Institute for Development Policy (AFIDEP) is an African-led, non-profit research and policy institute established in 2010 to help bridge the gaps between research, policy and practice in development efforts in Africa. We contribute to the realisation of the SDGs by enabling the formulation of sound development policies and programme interventions. We work to promote and entrench a culture of evidence use in development efforts in Africa.
Project Officer (Francophone) will produce, analyze, and disseminate high quality research on transparency, accountability, governance and human development issues. The Project Officer, based in Nairobi-Kenya, will work hand-in-hand with the Project Manager to coordinate the research (i.e. data collection, analysis and report-writing) in Francophone African countries.
Key roles and responsibilities
The Officer will be responsible for the following:
- Recruit and virtually manage teams of in-country contributors and respondents in Francophone African countries.
- Perform detailed, high-intensity quality control over the resultant data points (in the thousands), including fact checking and editing.
- Provide capacity building, training, and detailed feedback and guidance to researchers and contributors.
- Compile and analyze multiple country data, and provide final country scorecards for publishing and dissemination (focusing on Francophone African countries).
- Oversee the research dissemination and engagement with key stakeholders in Francophone African countries.
- Coordinate logistical tasks associated with the implementation of the research project in Francophone African countries (including contracts management, payments management, and deadline management).
- Manage relationships with project contacts and partners in Francophone African countries.
Experience and skills
Successful candidate will have, as a minimum, a Masters’ degree in political science, public policy, development studies, international relations or other development-oriented field with at least three years practical experience in governance research and programming, and project management, and will be fully bilingual (with proficiency in French and English).
The following factors will strengthen an applicant’s candidacy:
- Demonstrated command of transparency, accountability, governance and development issues in Africa at the regional, national, subnational, and/or sector levels is required.
- Excellent written and spoken French and English is an essential requirement.
- Resourcefulness performing online research and disposition to provide guidance to others.
- Experience in project management, including tracking contracts, payments, deadlines, workflow design, and virtual management of large teams of researchers.
- Excellent writing and editing skills, preferably with experience in both short and long form (from blog posts to position papers).
- Exceptional attention to detail, ability to perform on tight deadlines, and proven ability to communicate clear and concise instructions.
- Proven ability to set priorities, manage time effectively, handle multiple ongoing tasks.
- An ardent planner, with a strong sense of urgency and commitment to quality and timelines.
- Hands-on data management and analysis skills using Excel and other digital tools, and will also have a wealth of experience in project management, including managing large multi-country projects.
- A commitment to AFIDEP’s vision and mission.