The Behavioural Insights Team (BIT) is looking for an exceptional candidate to join us as a Research Advisor in our Research and Evaluation team in London.
In this role you will work both within our Social Capital team, focused on interventions encouraging volunteering, charitable giving, and improving life chances and inclusion, and as part of the Core Research Team to design, conduct and evaluate randomised controlled trials (RCTs) across the public policy spectrum. In particular, we are keen to recruit a candidate with a strong background in the quantitative data analysis of RCTs.
Key roles and responsibility
The role will involve working with the Chief Scientist and the Head of Social Capital to develop BIT’s expertise in this area. You will be expected to work with a wide variety of partner organisations to help develop cutting edge behavioural insights interventions and to test them in the field, with a particular focus increasing engagement with government services and volunteering.
Experience and skills
The Behavioural Insights Team brings people together with different skills sets. You must be able to demonstrate a balance of skills across those listed below, but we do not expect you to be exceptional in all areas.
- A strong background in social science (economics, psychology) research methods;
- Experience working as a part of a team, while managing your own time;
- Experience having conducted, ideally in a leading role, multiple randomised controlled trials or quasi-experimental evaluations;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (and will be able to translate academic work to non-academic audiences);
- A clear understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of different evaluations methodologies, including those that you are not an expert in;
- Experience using software packages for either quantitative analysis (e.g. STATA or R), at an expert or competitive level; and
- Interest in the programme of research and the policy area, including pro-social behaviour, social capital, social action, and volunteering.