On Think Tanks/OTT Consulting Ltd (OTT) is a global change hub dedicated to the study and support of policy and evidence organisations and the broader policymaking and public interest environment. Our aim is to contribute to better informed public debates and policymaking.
Our team works directly with foundations, governments, bilateral and multilateral agencies, universities, think tanks, thinktankers and their supporters, and the private sector. Our partners, associates and consultants are spread across the world, come from a range of cultural and disciplinary backgrounds and have experience in a range of fields concerning evidence informed policy including the generation, communication and use of evidence.
The OTT team is made up of a small core team and a community of associates and consultants. The research and evaluation associate is expected to join the core team, working for OTT full time.
Find out more about our consulting work here
Over the last decade OTT has explored different aspects of the broad field of evidence informed policy. In recent years we have worked in projects relating to the relationship between social movements and think tanks, scaling science (including the monitoring and evaluation of scaling interventions), new forms of communication and engagement for evaluations, monitoring and evaluation for policy research organisations, monitoring and evaluation of networks and partnership, the evaluation of foundations’ portfolios and strategies, etc.
We are looking for a research and evaluation associate who will help to consolidate this and lead the development of new and innovating practice in the future. This will involve pursuing new and innovative approaches by designing new projects, obtaining funding and managing resources for their effective delivery.
The research and evaluation associate will also communicate and engage in international debates on the broad field of evidence informed policymaking.
The associate will actively inform the policies and decisions of global foundations, bilateral and multilateral organisations, international NGOs, think tanks and government agencies.
The research and evaluation associate will help shape the future of OTT.
Roles and responsibilities
The research and evaluation associate will take care of several roles that are central to OTT.
The research and evaluation associate will perform these roles with the support from other members of OTT’s core team: OTT’s director, the operations and projects coordinator, the senior research associate, the director of research and learning, and the director of communications. S/he will also have to work closely with other members of the broader OTT community, among associates and consultants. The research and evaluation associate will be line-managed by the OTT Director.
Specific roles involve:
- Business development: Lead and contribute to the development of evaluation and research proposals, expressions of interest and full project proposals;
- Project delivery and support: Lead the delivery of research and evaluation projects. Provide specific technical inputs to ongoing research and evaluation projects – this work may include overseas travel (when safe);
- Synthesis and knowledge development: Proactively contribute to the generation of original content drawing from across OTT’s work;
- Communications and outreach: Proactively seek to inform OTT’s audiences on the basis of sound evidence and experience by communicating and engaging with our audiences through OTT’s multiple channels;
- Community building: Actively contribute towards building OTT’s community of associates and consultants.
Experience and skills
- The ability to coordinate tasks amongst different activities and report to strategic positions within the team.
- The ability to manage time and resources and work with tight deadlines efficiently.
- Good sense of humour.
Key skills and competencies:
- Graduate degree in a relevant discipline.
- At least 10 years working in or towards a similar role.
- Extensive and deep knowledge of key issues and organisations in the fields of international development and, in particular, evidence informed policymaking.
- Extensive knowledge on monitoring, evaluation and learning methods and approaches relevant to the field of evidence informed policy, policy influencing, organisational and social and political change – e.g Outcome Mapping, Outcome Harvesting, Most Significant Change, etc.
- Extensive experience of field/empirical research in a variety of settings, as well as primary and secondary data collection and analysis.
- Strong analytical skills. We are looking for someone who can incorporate political, economic and social elements to their analyses.
- Excellent communication and writing skills, and willingness to respond to queries and requests in a timely manner.
- Proven ability to translate research and evaluation ideas into fundable projects excellent communication abilities in relation to a wide variety of audiences including for fundraising and business development purposes.
- Experience writing successful proposals in respond to RfPs from foundations, bilateral and multilateral agencies, NGOs, etc.
- Skills in negotiation, listening, communication of ideas, problem solving, decision making.
- Ability to work as part of a team AND ability to work on own initiative and remotely. Yes, both.
- Strong multitasking and project management skills. Specifically, time management skills, including managing a complex and varied workload
- Excellent IT skills (Word, Excel, Power Point plus survey and qualitative/quantitative research software, ideal).
- Fluent in English and competency in other languages. Fluency in a language other than English (such as French and Spanish) would be desirable.
- Experience in producing high quality (published – think tank or consultancy style) research outputs in a short period of time and for different audiences.
- Experience working in a think tank, a policy research institute or a research or evaluation consultancy.
- Experience winning bids and developing fundable projects.
- An interest in contributing to the growth of OTT by promoting new initiatives.
- A positive disposition to engage with policy research funders, policymakers, thinktankers and think tank leaders from all parts of the world.
- Experience working as part of a remote team would be useful.
Time commitment and remuneration
- Hours: Full-time
- Salary: We expect the salary will be defined based on the candidate’s experience and salary history. As a reference, we estimate between GBP40,000-55,000 depending on experience (gross) for a UK based associate. Note OTT is a UK based company – for UK residents this will be a salaried position; for non UK residents the post will be in the form of a long-term consultancy contract.
- Contract type: Fixed – 1 year- with option to renew on a permanent basis.
- We encourage flexible working hours.
Application deadline: 11 June 2021
To apply, please, submit, by 11 June 2021, 23:59 in Peru:
- Your CV in PDF tailored to respond to the role (no more than 3 pages). A LinkedIn page is also acceptable if you think it is a strong reflection of your experience.
- A short video (no more than 5 minutes) in which you tell us:
- Why do you want to work with us?
- Why should we want you to work with you?
- A cover letter that addresses the competencies required and your experience in performing the roles for the post.
- Two references.
Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed and asked to complete a simple task, during the week of the 8th March 2021.
Other useful information
At OTT we value diversity. We are a global initiative. We encourage applicants from all over the word.
Within a month at OTT you will:
- Join a vibrant and global team
- Be inducted into OTT and have a chance to explore all our internal and external projects
- Join OTT’s Senior Management Team
- Join exiting project
- Begin searching for project opportunities, contacting funders and clients and preparing initial concept notes and bids
- Start writing for OTT and sharing your ideas through our multiple channels
Within 3 months at OTT you will:
- Be working in new OTT projects
- Have won or be close to winning your first projects
- Host OTT Talks with experts and practitioners in the field
- Be publishing on OTT regularly and contributing to our multiple channels
- Be recognised as a core member of the OTT team
Within 6 months at OTT you will:
- Be leading projects you developed and won yourself
- Be publishing on OTT regularly and contributing to our multiple channels with a focus on services or themes related to your projects
- Develop new initiatives for OTT