On Think Tanks is a global initiative focused in the study and support of think tanks and evidence based policymaking more generally. Find out more here. OTT has a small advisory arm: OTT Consulting Ltd, which delivers consultancy services for multiple actors in the evidence informed policymaking ecosystem.
As an OTT research officer you will join a global network of researchers and practitioners working to promote the generation, communication and use of evidence in policy across the world. As a research officer you may be called to work on projects for different audiences: including funders, research institutes, policymaking bodies, civil society organisations and the private sector. At times, you will be involved in more than one project working under the guidance of different senior associates.
As a research officer you will be expected to work closely with OTT’s director of research in support of OTT’s long term research strategy; but your day-to-day work is likely to focus on short to medium terms research projects. This will offer you the opportunity to quickly gain experience and knowledge about multiple aspects of the evidence informed policymaking field. Have a look at OTT’s projects here.
Key roles and responsibilities
- Contribute to the development of research proposals, expressions of interest and full project proposals;
- Specific technical inputs to ongoing research projects such as producing annotated bibliographies and literature reviews, undertaking surveys and interviews, data analysis and preparing reports – this work may include overseas travel; and
- Proactively contribute to the generation of original content for multiple OTT channels.
Experience and skills
- Graduate degree in social sciences
- Ability to gather and analyse quantitative and qualitative data
- Strong synthesis and writing skills
- Multitasking skills
- Excellent IT skills (Word, Excel, Power Point plus survey and qualitative/quantitative research software, ideal)
- Ability to work in a team AND ability to work on own initiative and remotely
- Fluent in English and competency in others. Fluency in a language other than English would be desirable.
- Experience in producing high quality (published – think tank or consultancy style) research outputs in a short period of time and for different audiences;
- Experience working in a think tank or a policy research institute.
OTT offers a competitive pro-rata compensation on the basis of an estimated allocation of up to 20 days a month -up to GDP150 per day, based on experience of the candidates.
You will also be eligible to participate in OTT courses and conferences and you will join the OTT network of associates.
After a 6 month period we will consider offering the post holder full-time employment.
How to apply
To apply, please submit an email to: [email protected] (subject: RO OTT) with:
- Full CV – 3 pages maximum
- 2 examples of written work
- A cover letter outlining your motivation to apply to this position, why you think you have the qualities, skills and experience for the role and what you hope to bring to OTT.
- 2 references (names, contact information and a description of your relationship to them)
We will review applications and hold interviews during the week of the 16th December. We hope the appointed candidate will start work in early January 2020.