OTT is a global consultancy and platform for change. We support and strengthen the work of research organisations, foundations, governments and others in support of better-informed decision making.
Through our consultancy work, we develop tailored solutions to specific challenges. With services spanning research, learning facilitation, strategy development and refresh and monitoring, learning and evaluation, we partner with organisations to drive evidence-informed change.
Through the On Think Tanks platform we build, nurture and support a global community of people working in, with, and funding policy research. On Think Tanks is a space to learn, reflect, imagine, connect and take action.
Both our consulting and community work has public good at its heart.
OTT is a fully remote organisation. We have a small team of around 10 full-time staff and associates working across four continents.
Roles and responsibilities
We are looking for a Research Officer to provide assistance to the OTT team on a range of research and evaluation projects. The RO will perform these tasks with the guidance of project team leaders and other colleagues.
Examples of the work you will be expected to preform include:
- Conducting literature reviews to inform new consulting projects and studies
- Undertaking or participating in the production of landscape scans to inform an evaluation or strategy refresh
- Reviewing best practices among peer organisations, depending on the client – e.g. of foundations ‘grant making practices, or think tanks’ strategy development processes, etc.
- Conducting interviews as part of a consultation process or managing a survey (from design to delivery and data analysis)
- Identifying events and producing summaries (with a rapid turnaround) to inform a project and the OTT team
- Scheduling meetings within a project in support of the team leader or lead researchers
- Writing meeting minutes
- Drafting short articles-blogs to communicate lessons from projects via the OTT website and digital platforms
- Maintaining project Google drive sites, along with all team members
- Undertaking routine scanning for new evidence on key issue areas determined OTT’s senior leadership
- Contributing to the development of proposals and participating in externally funded projects when needed and indicated by your line manager.
This role will work across OTT – both OTT Consulting and On Think Tanks.
You will be managed by one of OTT’s Senior associate but will also work with other OTT associates, consultants, partners and a wide range of actors in the evidence informed policy sector.
Experience and skills
- Degree in social sciences desired, but graduates from any field with relevant experience can apply.
- The ability to conduct rapid online research and assess resources for relevance
- Experience in gathering and analysing quantitative and qualitative data.
- Demonstrable experience in writing for policy/practitioner audiences (concise, succinct, to the point, clear)
- Fluent in English, competency in any others desirable (French in particular).
- Proactive and responsive communications – OTT is often involved in fast-paced projects that require the RO to be on top of emails and Slack, ask for clarification when needed, and maintain good communications with a wider network of associates and consultants.
- An interest in supporting Global South researchers to build relationships with the global community. Knowledge of the existing think tank and evidence informed policy funding landscape in the global South would be an asset.
- Experience working in a think tank or consultancy environment
- Flexibility to adapt to different responsibilities and to engage with a variety of audiences.
- Experience of using online collaborative sites (Googledocs, Dropbox, Teams)
- Knowledge or interest of key issues and organisations in the fields of international development and, in particular, evidence informed policymaking.
Terms of employment
- Hours: Full-time (flexible working hours)
- Salary: Competitive depending on your experience.
- Please note that OTT is a UK based company, for UK residents this would be a salaried position; for non-UK residents the post may be in the form of a long-term consultancy contract depending on the legislation of your country of residence. Where possible OTT will seek to equate the benefits that UK based staff receive.
- Contract type: 1 year, with option to renew on a permanent basis.
How to apply
Submit your application to [email protected] (subject: OTT RO application) including a:
- one-page cover letter (outlining why you are interested in the role and your relevant experience and skills)
- Short video (optional, no more than 3 minutes, outlining why you want to work with us and why we should want to work with you)
Applications close: 31 December 2022.
There will be a short-written task as part of the interview process.
Diversity and inclusion
At OTT we value diversity. We are a southern led global initiative. We encourage applicants from all over the world and will not discriminate on the basis of anything other than the candidate’s ability to do the job.