Transparency International UK (TI-UK) is the UK’s leading anti-corruption non-governmental organisation, and is part of a global coalition sharing one vision: a world in which government, business, civil society, and the daily lives of people are free of corruption. Further details of our work can be found here.
The role sits within the UK Anti-Corruption Programme (UKACP). UKACP’s goal is to prevent corruption in the UK and the UK from contributing to corruption elsewhere. We aim to do this by improving the resilience of UK public institutions, increasing accountability, and ending the UK’s role in providing a safe haven to the corrupt and their illicit wealth.
The Senior Advocacy Manager role will help UKACP cover some of the duties undertaken by senior advocacy colleagues while they are on maternity leave for a period of 6 months in 2020 and/or 2021.
Key roles and responsibilities
The Senior Advocacy Manager will take the initiative in planning and delivering key elements of TI-UK’s UK-facing advocacy work. The role will involve managing at least one colleague.
The right person for this role will have extensive hands-on experience of delivering advocacy directly into parliament and the UK Government, an ability to work well in coalition with others to achieve shared aims, an understanding of issues relating to corruption such as governance and/or financial secrecy, and excellent people management and project management skills.
As Senior Advocacy Manager you will be responsible for:
- Advocacy leadership, planning & delivery: Lead, plan and deliver key aspects of UKACP’s advocacy work into Parliament and UK Government and in collaboration with key civil society groups (e.g. the UK Anti-Corruption Coalition) to achieve change in line with UKACP’s objectives. Help to coordinate UK-facing advocacy activity across the organisation and ensure consistent messaging in e.g. TI-UK-wide submissions and media statements. Maintain and build TI-UK’s networks within Parliament (MPs, Peers, advisors, and researchers) and the UK Government (relevant civil service officials, etc.). Proactively look for and capitalise on opportunities to advocate on UK-ACP policy objectives.
- Line management & support to UKACP team members: This role directly manages at least one member of the advocacy team. Ensure that colleagues produce work of high quality in line with UKACP strategy and objectives. Sign off and hold responsibility for external advocacy content produced by team members. Ensure colleagues are well-supported to meet their objectives, feel comfortable, confident, and safe at work, and have regular opportunities to develop their skills.
Experience and skills
To be successful in this role you will:
- Have extensive hands-on experience of delivering advocacy directly into Parliament and the UK Government
- Be a good communicator and have excellent interpersonal skills
- Work well in coalition with others toward shared goals
- Excel at managing people/teams and project management
- Have first-hand experience of advocating on complex policy issues, preferably relating to anti-corruption, good governance or similar
- Have substantial experience of the above