Centre for London is a think tank and charity focused on London’s critical challenges.
Do you want to help deliver major events that tackle London’s biggest challenges? The Centre for London is looking for a senior conferences officer to work with colleagues to plan and deliver the major events that address London’s critical challenges based on Centre for London’s research and ideas, ensuring excellence in delivery. To work closely with the development team to cultivate relationships with donors and other funders for major centre for
Key roles and responsibilities
Key responsibilities include:
- Coordinate the design, coordination and production of major conferences and other
events – including developing funding proposals, shaping on-stage content, securing
speakers, creating guest lists, scouting and securing venues, meeting with funders,
composing invitations (in Mailchimp) and administering responses (in Salesforce).
- Lead delivery of the smooth running of events including event logistics.
- Liaise with speakers, sponsors, venues, stakeholders and contractors.
- Compose copy for the website, briefings and social media.
- Work with the communication team to coordinate media involvement and marketing/promotion
- Recruit and train events staff.
- Develop new ideas for Centre for London’s events programme, and bring them to life.
Development and Fundraising
- Work with the development team to ensure the smooth delivery of sponsor benefits and
communicate regularly with sponsors.
- Work with others to develop and fundraise for the events programme including researching
sponsors, speakers and exhibitors, developing ideas for events and preparing fundraising
- Proactively research and identify suitable organisations interested in the Centre’s work through
incisive prospect research and helping to formulate and deliver strategies for engagement.
- Maintain and improve CRM Salesforce through adding new contacts, data cleaning, coding
contacts for relationship management and proactively suggesting improvements.
- Contribute to impact reports for funders and assist in the production of the annual report.
General Responsibilities and Duties
- Conduct the duties of the job description in accordance with the operational policies of Centre
for London, including but not limited to the diversity policy and code of conduct
- Maintain good working relations with trustees, staff, volunteers and other stakeholders
- Present the organisation in an appropriate and professional manner to its stakeholders
Centre for London: Senior Conferences Officer (2019)Page 5 of 6
- Contribute to the development and growth of the organisation through working in accordance
with its wider objectives, corporate philosophy and values.
- Assist at Centre for London events outside of normal working hours as necessary
- Undertake any other reasonable duties as may be required.
Experience and skills
Applicants be passionate about London and must show commitment to the mission of Centre for
London; to develop new develop new solutions to London’s critical challenges and advocate for a fair
and prosperous global city.
- Experience running conferences and/or large events with significant experiences delivering
events logistics including venue selection and booking, working to budgets, managing catering,
AV and event staff.
- Experience working with stakeholders to collaboratively plan event content, including
determining key questions and selecting speakers
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in a variety of contexts, e.g. composing event
copy and speaker invitation letters, preparing event briefs, speaking with prospective
and existing funders.
- Experience managing relationships and communicating with funders, VIPs or stakeholders.
- Experience in fundraising, particularly from corporates, an advantage.
- Awareness of London policy, networks and government, and how to effect change in policy
making and practice an advantage
- Alternatively, relevant experience in a related field
Competencies and attributes:
- Highly organised. Creating clear plans and managing delivery challenges. Able to balance
and prioritise multiple tasks, often to urgent and competing deadlines.
- Excellent attention to detail. Accurately record, recall and execute details such as sponsor
requests, names and titles of key stakeholders, venue requirements and other details.
- Professional and confident communication skills (written and verbal). Able to liaise with
senior people (e.g. speakers, chairs, sponsors) and sharing creative ideas.
- Excellent customer service skills and ability to assist with high level event attendees and
stakeholders, anticipating their needs.
- Ability to adapt and learn quickly. Able to show initiative and adapt quickly to new
- Strong IT proficiency, including MS Office, Salesforce, MailChimp and WordPress CMS.
- Ability to follow guidelines and procedures to comply with the Institute of Fundraising Code
of Practice; maintain confidentiality and work with financial data and personal data within ICO
and GDPR regulations framework.
- Excellent team player
Other useful information
- Please follow this link below to complete the application information
- Then email your CV and cover letter to [email protected] with the subject line
‘Senior Conferences Officer’ and using your ID code (not your name).
Your application should show how your experience and achievements to date would make you a
suitable candidate for this role (no more than three pages total). Your application should be saved as
a single PDF with your application ID as the title.
Please note, applications will only be submitted when the form has been completed and your pdf
received via email.
Deadline – 9am on Monday 13th January 2020
Expected interview dates – 22nd and 23rd January.